PDA

View Full Version : new 59g setup with sump too noisy (water only - just started)

xpace
09/20/2011, 05:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm very very new to all this magic stuff and found this forum just few days ago.
I have read quiet a lot in here, but some things are very specific and is really hard to get answers for them.
So here I am needing some advise :) obviously.

As you can see there is nothing there in the tank yet only water, not even salt. I have started the circulation on sunday morning to see if everything goes well. it does but noise could be lower than it is now.

I have few problems but I want to start only with one just for now the most annoying one.

The submersible pump in the sump is brand new and very quiet, but the vibrations it makes are amplifying throughout the whole cabinet and it sounds like humming noise from over amplified speaker when there is nothing playing.
somewhere I have found that it's the plastic transparent pipe, because it's too hard and transfers all the vibrations to the PVC pipe that is mounted onto the cabinet. the only problem is I can't seem to find any rubber or some sort of flex softer tube.

Does anyone had some experience with this ?

thank you

wood0691
09/20/2011, 07:11 AM
i would try something like these isocubes under the pump, they are fairly cheap. just a tought
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/vibration-isolators/pads/supco-iso-cube-anti-vibration-pad-18x18x34?utm_source=google_pr;utm_medium=cpc;utm_campaign=Vibration-Pads-google_pr;infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CNaO6tPyq6sCFZJU7AodbUCN4w

CRC88
09/20/2011, 07:21 AM
I just went through this process on my tank. Had it setup in the garage and thought the damn thing was really noisy. I noticed that when you add salt to the water, the increase in density greatly reduces any noises you have. This includes the splashing in the overflow, and any dripping noises you might have.

In regards to the pump, make sure it is located in the center of your sump. If you put it close to a wall, that will amplify the vibrations. The water has a sound shielding effect so if you put it in the middle, there's more water around the pump to dampen the noise.

I also have my pump sitting on a piece of old filter media. It's a very rigid pad that supports the weight of the pump, but doesn't transfer any vibrations to the tank. This, along with adding salt to the water reduced the noise to a level where I'm happy with it.

CRC88
09/20/2011, 07:25 AM
Also consider lengthening your flexible tubing before attaching to the PVC. If there is any tension on the tube, it will greatly increase the amount of noise it transfers. Think of a guitar string...when it's pulled nice and tight on the guitar, it makes a loud, but beautiful noise when vibrated. But when you take that same string off and reduce the tension, it doesn't make any noise at all.

The same idea applies to the tubing (althought to a much lesser extent). Try getting a much longer loop of flexible piping so it doesn't transfer the noise as much. As long as the vertical rise and number of joints stay the same, it shouldn't affect the amount of water you move.

xpace
09/20/2011, 10:58 PM
thanks guys for tips,

CRC88 - i don't think any anti vibration mats pads sponges or anything like that would help as i have tried them but whats most important I held the pump in the air (water) so it was not touching anything and the vibration was there just as same as if it was sitting on the bottom of the tank, but what I havent tried is the salt in the water. that actually might help, will let you know for sure ;)
with extending the pipe Im not sure but can try that too just dont like the idea having a loop there but will see. Ill try the salt first.

thank you

wood - Thank you too but as you can see i've tried the pads already with no luck ;(

xpace
09/21/2011, 06:40 AM
Hi there,

salt added, needs to dissolve but so far about more than half has dissolved - no change so far, so will probably need to try longer pipe and then will see, also my overflow is noisy, but for that I will start new thread.

but any further advise is more than welcome.

thank you

barbouri02
09/21/2011, 08:04 AM
I cushion under the pumps with something. My issue wasn't my mag 9 return, but my insump pump for my skimmer, which was resolved by placing the extra filter foam I had laying around under the pump and making sure it wasn't touching the walls. MUCH less noice. You can still hear a soft hum, but NOTHING like it was! I too had to quiet my overflow. I'll look for that thread and let you know what we did.

Cryptoblennie
09/21/2011, 08:18 AM
I can relate. I am very new to this hobby as well and was setting up a 75 DT with a 20 sump. My test runs in the garage proved the setup to be too loud for our living room. I got all the equipment that was called "dead quiet" form forum members, and like you the vibrations of the return pump created a loud humm. I also have hardwood floors which will also amplify the noise. I have learned, and will share with you that if you have an aquarium of any size, you will have a constant humm of pumps, buzz of lights, and the occasional splashing sound of water.

We went with a 20 gallon in the living room, HOB filter and that's nice and quiet. I am going to put the 75 in my office once we finish the remodel, that way the sound of the tank wont effect our quiet household, just my conference calls. :-)

In this hobby, Dead Quiet = doesnt sound like your LFS.

xpace
09/21/2011, 04:25 PM
:lolspin:

Hey,

thanks for your info. well I'm not after dead quiet fish tank but what I got is way too much even during the loud day where windows are open. I've seen fish tanks that you honestly could not hear at all. my problem is the vibration (humm) that goes throughout the cabinet and that must be eliminated. what I'm about to try, is to unmount my return pipe from cabinet just freely hanging and if that's not going to help I'll throw it out of the window :bounce1:

anyway, bettre going to work now will see what will come next.

thanks guys

xpace
09/22/2011, 12:22 AM
one part is over :)

here we go as I said, unmounted the return pipe from the cabinet, and guess what, about 70-80% of the vibration has gone. now I'm thinking, that I'll put some silicone padding around the pipe and mount it back with no more vibrations :) see pic and compare with the previous one

part two will be in next thread, how to get rid of the noise from overflow tubing (slurping)

thanks guys :beer:

bradjenny
09/22/2011, 07:28 AM
I like that sump design just 1 question though how would i adapt a skimmer into that>>???? Just a question i have been wondering..............