PDA

View Full Version : Fish Location Dilemma

CRC88
09/20/2011, 07:16 AM
So I have a dilemma about the location (and health) of a few fish.

Tank 1 (QT): Main purpose was to get some LR and start seeding old lace rock I had from my FW days. Once everything is transfered it will be my QT. Main filtration is a strong powerhead (500gph), filter pad, and 25% water change every week. It's 20g. 20lbs LR. 20lbs LS. Started July 10th 2011. (9 weeks) Week two added a CUC consisting of 3 hermit crabs. Week five added 3 yellow-tailed blue damsels. Week nine (Saturday) added two very small O. Clowns. Up until now, ammonia and nitrite have always read 0. Nitrate has been 0-20ppm range depending on water change status.

When I brought the O. Clowns home, they weren't eating the food I had, so I bought some frozen food...which I know is messy. So I suspect that feeding them frozen food, as well as the addition of the fish, has caused my ammonia to spike to 0.25. Is this still a low enough level that I shouldn't start worrying? (like I'm doing now).

My other option is to move the O. Clowns to my larger tank and let them ride out the cycle there instead of this mini-cycle in the smaller tank.

Tank 2: 55g. 8g refugium w/ DSB and macro algae. 10g Sump. 25lbs LR (will be 50lbs once I move everything over). 75lbs LS (50 in DT 25 fuge). I have a Reef Octopus NWB150 coming today that I'll hookup sometime this week. This tank has been running for approx 1+ week. I transfered about 1/2 the LR over from the smaller tank within the first day and have slowly added a few pieces here and there from the LFS. The build thread can be found here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069247

So...should I keep the O. Clowns in the smaller 20g (QT) tank? Or should I move them over to the DT which hasn't really seen much of a cycle? Are there any chemicals I could add to the QT to make the ammonia go down? Also, I could take the damsels to the LFS and reduce the bioload. I have no sentimental attachment to them and was planning on taking them back at some point because I realized they're too agressive for me. I want everyone to get along! :) I also have three different size BioWheel filters from my days in FW I could add on the back to suppliment the filtration...

Any piece of advice on what to do? Thanks!

CRC88
09/20/2011, 11:16 AM
Any help? There's several possibilities but which is best?

Uncle Salty 05
09/20/2011, 12:36 PM
I would move the clowns to the DT until you begin to see an ammonia spike there. Hopefully by then the ammonia level in the 20 gallon tank will have come down and you can move them back over to the 20 (after taking the damsels back).