PDA

View Full Version : Microbubbles everywhere!

dnguyen1
09/20/2011, 05:10 PM
Hi guys, I have a return nozzzle from my sump that goes into the tank and it gushes out some mad bubbles... I just hooked up my sump, does this sort of thing just take time to stabilize? Meaning will the bubbles eventually go away? I don't like the look of them since it takes away from water clarity.

FLOW too strong?

organism
09/20/2011, 06:41 PM
My guess is your flow is too strong through the sump, it can only handle so much so I'd turn it down until the bubbles stop and go from there as far as how to add more flow in the display. Filter socks help to a point though.

aecasasus
09/21/2011, 07:02 AM
Are you getting a lot of bubbles going into the sump and then returned back to the DT?

dallascwbyz
09/21/2011, 07:22 AM
pics of your sump would help, do you have baffles? I agree with organism sounds like your flow is too strong. bubbles need time to hit the surface before they hit your return pump

jayg4u
09/21/2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah, if its only in the sump..no biggie

LOTUS50GOD
09/21/2011, 08:51 AM
there are a few reasons why microbubbles appear.
1. There is a small air leak in your pipes. You can coat the rings of any unions with Vaseline to ensure they are air tight. BTW.. just because they are not leaking does not mean they are air tight, it just means its water tight.
2. The flow through your sump is too fast. Install a bypass on the return side of the pump. Do not put a ball valve on the intake to restrict the intake
3. The water level in your sump is not deep enough an its sucking air due to an over sized pump.