PDA

View Full Version : Wonky programming on Weather option

ilmigliore
09/20/2011, 05:35 PM
So I've build my DIY LED fixture and I have dimmable drivers.

I hooked it up and it didn't seem to be acting right when I was trying to program the lighting profiles. I hooked up a multimeter to the cable coming out of the variable speed ports (I opened up a cat5 cable and stripped back the wire so I can access it).

So here's the end result.

Light Maximum Intensity = 20
Cloud Light Intensity = 60
Cloud Duration = 5
Cloudy time = 1 (%)

The numbers above are pretty much arbitrary but that's what I have on it right now. When I adjust the "Light Maximum Intensity" setting, nothing changes on the multimeter. The meter is actually reading 6.46V (see the Cloud Intensity?). When I adjust the cloud intensity to 20, the multimeter drops to 2.15V. Any explanation? I guarantee that I have the most recent firmware as I updated it two days ago.

swearint
09/20/2011, 06:25 PM
I am pretty sure that the Weather profile is specific to the VDM module for controlling AI lighting. For your DIY lights, use the Ramp profile.

Todd

ilmigliore
09/20/2011, 08:44 PM
This isn't the VDM, it's the variable speed ports on the base unit. And on top of that, it still doesn't seem reasonable that the 0-10v output is controlled by the cloud cover variable.

Hopefully Russ or Curt or Aquamanic can chime in with some advice. It may very well be that this feature is limited to the AI fixtures but that seems like a shame if the algorithm isn't designed to work with any 0-10v dimmable power supply.

aquamanic
09/21/2011, 09:48 AM
It may very well be that this feature is limited to the AI fixtures

It is. In a way, it's similar to the WXM module. It simply tells the powerhead to do the 'Reef Crest' mode. The actual intensity profile of the Reef Crest mode and the algorithm it follows is contained in the Ecotech logic. Neptune has nothing to do with it. Same thing here.

RussM
09/21/2011, 10:47 AM
I seem to recall someone posting a reply from Curt that the cloud feature of the Weather profile should work for DIY LED lighting, and that only the lightning feature won't work, it being AI-specific. I could be remembering this wrong though!

aquamanic
09/21/2011, 12:23 PM
I'll double check.

aquamanic
09/21/2011, 01:35 PM
According to Curt, the weather profile is just for a VDM/AI combination. Perhaps someone got something similar working with virtual outlets using different profiles and 'if time' statements and called it 'weather'?