PDA

View Full Version : Niger trigger to blue throat

thanhjenn
09/20/2011, 05:48 PM
I presently have a blue throat trigger in my 135 gal and wanting to add a niger trigger. Does anyone know if this will be a problem. Thanks for looking.

MIKE NY
09/20/2011, 06:16 PM
mine were fine for a few months until the niger got larger...then there was a problem. The niger wouldn't allow the blue out to feed and even though the male blue turned to female coloration to avoid the bullying I still had to take the niger out. Here is when they were together a few months later the niger was taken out....
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k83/MIKENY_2006/IMG_1130.jpg

Sonicblast12
09/20/2011, 06:54 PM
Mine have been in the same tank for about a year. The Bluethroat was much larger than the Niger, and although the Niger has surpassed the Bluethroat in size there have been no problems between the two.

I think it really depends on the individual fish, the Niger seems like it can land anywhere on the aggression spectrum. Mine is pretty laid back, but you do read horror stories every now and then.

Wolverine
09/20/2011, 07:33 PM
I think it really depends on the individual fish, the Niger seems like it can land anywhere on the aggression spectrum. Mine is pretty laid back, but you do read horror stories every now and then.

This is the biggest problem here. Triggers can be unpredictable in general, but nigers have a much wider bell-curve than the others, and they cover the whole spectrum.

Sonicblast12
09/20/2011, 08:20 PM
Any time you mix triggers it's smart to have a backup plan. They can kill in seconds.

Unless it's an undulated and the worst case scenario is nearly absolute.

crobattt
09/20/2011, 08:24 PM
I agree with everyone else here. i have 2, but they're always laid back, lol i even have some cleaner shrimp that will climb on the two and clean them :p