PDA

View Full Version : Solana 34g Cube w/ Frame kit leaks at top Why?

monopolybag
09/21/2011, 08:54 AM
So I got the 34 g cube, Current USA Solana. (The original one) It is not a bad tank. But I have the Frame kit on it, the one that puts the wood trim around the top with a glass top.

It use to be salt, now is fresh, but it has always leaked in on corner of the tank at the top. Water seems to somehow accumulate (probably from evaporation) on the lid and always run to the front left corner. Maybe it is from the tank being slightly not level? It takes a few days, but if I do not wipe it off, it will build up, then run down the edge and pool under the tank on the wooden stand, ruining the wood slowly over time.

Any idea? I do not want to silicon the top to the glass, as this would probably fix it, but then I could remove the top, which I want to be able to to both keep the value of the tank and system, and so I can get the cords out form under it to the heater and pump.

The water level is not too high, I have already addressed this. And the outflow is not aimed at the top of the water. The top of the water is flat. So it is not from splashing either.

If you have any ideas or same problem, let me know, thanks.

monopolybag
09/22/2011, 05:51 PM
OK, well I figured it out myself. The green rubber thing that sits between the glass and the wood frame is suppose to be black. The green is a cover for a self adhesive rubber sticky strip to form a seal.

Wish I knew this months ago (almost year) as to avoid the wood damage. Most is hidden under the tank (decreases value) but some is visible on the frame corner. Hopefully some small touch up stain will fix it. The thing is though, the wood has seemed to have soaked up salt water, and once dry, has salt crystals in it.

Whatever.

So for anyone who has a Solana and puts the woof frame on top (which I do like) make sure to do what is necessary then use the sticky seal as to prevent water leaking and dribbling down the side and ruining the nice wood.