PDA

View Full Version : Algae problems with Pics

drew930
09/21/2011, 10:24 AM
I have had this algae problem for a couple weeks now . Its starting to grow around my coral and it is growing on my maxima clam's shell. I had what was thought to be red slime algae or cyanobacteria. I got rid of that but i am still have this other algae problem. It looks terrible. I did feed a lot for awhile. Maybe this is why it happened. What can I do to get this stuff gone ?

I was planning on adding an auto top off soon, with a calcium reactor. I was going to dose kalkwasser in my top off . I heard this could be effective . Is this true ?

I took some out with a net last night. Took the pics today. So the pics aren't nearly as bad what it looked like before. When i was getting out with net , it just basically broke the string of algae in half, so if it helps, the algae is very delicate.

zigzag1
09/21/2011, 11:24 AM
Looks like excess nutrients causing unwanted bacterial and/or algae growth. Research 'GFO' for export of the phosphate to limit the unwanted growth. GL!

sullyfish
09/21/2011, 11:38 AM
over feeding can cause an algae bloom, or simply the tank bio-load is too much for the denitrifying bacteria to handle. My advice is stay away from feeding flake food, since that is usually higher in phosphates. Also, test your water if not done so already, NO3 and phosphates are what you want closest to zero. GFO reactor will bring down phosphates, for nitrates a bio-pellet reactor or remote deep sand bed. Do you have a refugium ? I find that works best for me to control algae and is very cost effective and low maint. also make sure you have plenty of flow, that will help keep cyano algae at bay.

for short term a healthy water change and 3 day lights out will zap it. good luck

DLANDINO
09/21/2011, 11:48 AM
Those appear to be Dinoflagellates! Please see my thread here and good luck...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1619925

drew930
09/21/2011, 01:25 PM
I was thinking the three days lights out ... But I have coral and a maxima clam so I don't know if that would be a good thing to do .. Also I have checked phosphates . My nitrates and 0-10 . Alkalinity is about 100. Ph is 7.8-8.1

My sand bed isn't deep either . Is GFO best way to go ? What does kalkwasser do for algae ? Anything ?

DLANDINO
09/21/2011, 01:34 PM
Lights out is a good start and your clam and coral will be fine. My sps dominated reef just endured a 9 day power outage due to hurricane Irene on the east coast. No worries. If these are in fact dinos I encourage you to read through the thread I provided earlier as dinos are toxic and they only get worse with time.

drew930
09/21/2011, 01:47 PM
I also forgot to mention that this is algae is in stands and has a few bubbles on them . It's not a powered but strands ... The stands grow longer and spread through the day

DLANDINO
09/21/2011, 01:51 PM
I also forgot to mention that this is algae is in stands and has a few bubbles on them . It's not a powered but strands ... The stands grow longer and spread through the day

Knowing this, I am going to say that this is most likely a case of dinos.

aecasasus
09/21/2011, 06:44 PM
Looks like Dino's! Good Luck!