PDA

View Full Version : stocking ideas for a 20 gallon tall

Sh0velman
09/21/2011, 09:42 PM
So im finally ready to buy all my equipment for my 20 tall softy tank, but i never did give much thought to if i wanted actual fish..lol (im really into inverts and crustaceans) so what would be a good idea for some activity while the porcelain crabs and shrimp aren't out?

Yes this is my first salt tank but ive been researching and going in to learn from my REALLY nice lfs for over 2 years...and of course learning from all of you as well!

At first, probably like most beginners, there was the desperate yearn for some perculra clowns, but since Ive been researching so much Ive found them to be not as exciting as i once thought... so just wondering what other fish might be recommended for an...(not total noob research wise, but experience wise i guess) guy starting up my 20 gallon tall tank (going to have skimmer [nano reef octopus] and possibly a mini fugue HOB filter box)..... open to suggestions!

ps: im not like extremely opposed to clowns, im just curious as to what other fish could be HAPPY and content in such small quarters...

RealReef7
09/21/2011, 10:53 PM
possum wrasse are great in a small tank

TheFishTeen
09/21/2011, 11:57 PM
What is your price range?

Sh0velman
09/22/2011, 05:59 AM
I'll have to check out the possum wrasse, but as far as price range is concerned... id be fine with saving up for any cost so money isnt really a problem we shall say...

D5HP
09/22/2011, 08:06 AM
I'll have to check out the possum wrasse, but as far as price range is concerned... id be fine with saving up for any cost so money isnt really a problem we shall say...

Then I'd get a pair of helfrichi firefish:
http://marineengineersdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/helfrichi_1.jpg

And then maybe two other small fish.

Sh0velman
09/22/2011, 04:51 PM
hmmm i was thinking possibly 2 perc clowns at first then later add a single blue neon goby or possum wrasse...

D5HP
09/22/2011, 05:23 PM
At first, probably like most beginners, there was the desperate yearn for some perculra clowns, but since Ive been researching so much Ive found them to be not as exciting as i once thought... so just wondering what other fish might be recommended

ps: im not like extremely opposed to clowns, im just curious as to what other fish could be HAPPY and content in such small quarters...

Sh0velman
09/22/2011, 08:46 PM
? I still like clowns... just didn't know what other options are out there...

gr3
09/23/2011, 06:43 PM
I currently have a royal gramma in quarantine. They are very good looking, hardy, stay small and coexist very well with the percula clowns. I would recommend one. Another favorite which I would recommend considering is the yellow watchman goby, in addition to the attributes just mentioned they have very interesting behaviors. I would stick to 3 or 4 small fish for a 20 gallon. Good luck.