PDA

View Full Version : First Salt Water Tank

Murrgh
09/22/2011, 02:42 PM
I've always wanted to get a Saltwater tank, but never had the time. Now I do.

I have a 120 gallon tank lined up for purchase, or a 60 gallon tank, both readily available.

I've been reading through the stickies, taking it all in, and have a few questions.

I'd like to try coral? Maybe? I understand that a saltwater tank is a very hard thing to do, and takes lots of time to get set up, that's fine with me.

How do I start off, I've seen the threads, but I've not come by a "Quick-Start" guide... What I mean is, What do I do after the Tank. What's the next step?

Once I decide on tank size, what do I do next?
Where do I get the water? I understand I can't use tap water, is there a way to treat tap water to make it salt water safe?
With the water, if I have to use store bought water... am I really going to buy 120 gallons of water?? (I'm all for it, just wondering if there's an easier way?)
The tank comes with a stand, hood, and light. I know I can just buy a filter to accomidate my tank size, but, what is recommended? What type of filter? Any specific brand/style?
Where can I buy a powerhead/protein skimmer? (Only 2 Petstores around are Petco and PetSmart)
Reverse Osmosis/DeIonizer - Where to purchase also/What does this do?

Sorry If I missed this info in the stickies, just want to know what I'm getting into before I decide to buy everything.

Thanks!

xCry0x
09/22/2011, 02:59 PM
One of the stickies.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

1)Once I decide on tank size, what do I do next?

-Everything?

2)Where do I get the water? I understand I can't use tap water, is there a way to treat tap water to make it salt water safe?

Your LFS or make it yourself. No you cannot use tap water, to treat it see question #6

3)With the water, if I have to use store bought water... am I really going to buy 120 gallons of water?? (I'm all for it, just wondering if there's an easier way?)

If you want to fill a 120g tank with water then you need 120g of water (Okay a little less because rock and sand takes up volume)

4)The tank comes with a stand, hood, and light. I know I can just buy a filter to accomidate my tank size, but, what is recommended? What type of filter? Any specific brand/style?

What light? You need special lights for reef tanks vs fish only tanks. Most people use a sump/fuge not a cannister filter like a fresh water system.

5)Where can I buy a powerhead/protein skimmer? (Only 2 Petstores around are Petco and PetSmart)

www.google.com

6)Reverse Osmosis/DeIonizer - Where to purchase also/What does this do?

www.google.com
www.bulkreefsupply.com

RO/DI is the water you need, a ro/di device takes tap water and performs ro/di on it.

jamest0o0
09/22/2011, 03:04 PM
It's really not as hard as people make it out to be, as long as you can afford it and spend the time to learn and adapt you'll be fine.

start here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

You should invest in an RO/DI, that is what you'll use to get your water ;). As for the tank filtration you'll probably want to go with a sump, read up on them... I'd order online for a protein skimmer, petco and petsmart probably have poor options.

goodluck, read as much as possible and you'll be fine

xCry0x
09/22/2011, 03:06 PM
Another question, are these tanks you are looking at reef ready? Are they pre drilled with an overflow?

Murrgh
09/22/2011, 03:12 PM
Another question, are these tanks you are looking at reef ready? Are they pre drilled with an overflow?

Reef Ready? No. Most likely not. Pre drilled with an overflow? No. It's a 120 gallon tank with a stand, that's it, nothing special. After reading about it, I will most likely need to look at different tanks, am I correct?

If so, where is a good place to look for a reef ready aquarium?

DownwardDawg
09/22/2011, 03:33 PM
Well, you should be congratulated for coming here before starting! Great job! I wish I would have known about this place when I started. Go slow. Read the stickies at the top of this page.
RO/DI water is a must!
Google reef ready aquariums or tanks. Ask your LFS (local fish store) about a reef ready tank. It's already drilled with an overflow box installed. This is definitely what you want! Good luck.

xCry0x
09/22/2011, 03:38 PM
The way a salt water aquarium typically works is you have your main tank and then a secondary tank in your stand that hosues all your equipment and filtration.

The main tank will have an overflow in it, which is essentially a tube going top to bottom in the tank with slits in the top where water overflows, into the tube. In the bottom of the tank where the tube is you have a hole, with pvc pipe that drains the water to your tank inside your stand that has all your equipment. This tank in the stand is referred to as a sump. It allows you to have a heater,chiller, protein skimmer etc without filling your main tank with equipment. Sometimes people also have a refugium(fuge) that is a place for microfauna to propigate and marine algae to grow to export nutrients from the main tank.

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do.. start doing google searches on how to start a reef tank and read all of the stickies on the message boards.

fishaholic911
09/22/2011, 03:45 PM
The way a salt water aquarium typically works is you have your main tank and then a secondary tank in your stand that hosues all your equipment and filtration.

The main tank will have an overflow in it, which is essentially a tube going top to bottom in the tank with slits in the top where water overflows, into the tube. In the bottom of the tank where the tube is you have a hole, with pvc pipe that drains the water to your tank inside your stand that has all your equipment. This tank in the stand is referred to as a sump. It allows you to have a heater,chiller, protein skimmer etc without filling your main tank with equipment. Sometimes people also have a refugium(fuge) that is a place for microfauna to propigate and marine algae to grow to export nutrients from the main tank.

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do.. start doing google searches on how to start a reef tank and read all of the stickies on the message boards.

Well said :)

Murrgh
09/22/2011, 06:17 PM

This is what I was looking for. It all makes sense now. I had read all of the stickies and was wondering what was going on, and now I get it. I've now got a place to start.

I do have a lot of research to do, that's why I came here, instead of just buying something and going with it.

xCry0x
09/22/2011, 07:26 PM
yea it took me about 3-4 months to really figure it out from reading here, luckily I was waiting to move before buying anything so every time I thought I figured 'it' out then found out I was wrong it didnt cost me!

Good luck, before you buy an actual tank pay attention to the dimensions, certain sized large tanks are really narrow which allegedly make aqua scaping them a pain.

boogly
09/23/2011, 11:17 AM
You might also check Craigslist and/or a local reefer's club for reef ready aquariums. People are always upgrading, downsizing, or getting out of the hobby.

I found "The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Robert M. Fenner and "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists" by Robert M. Fenner very helpful as well.

Welcome to the community! :wavehand:

skeeter_usaf
09/23/2011, 11:45 AM
Just make sure you do plenty of research before you make this commitment. There are a lot of variables to take into account that most people forget. If you want a reef tank, then you will need better lighting, which equals higher electric bill. If your going to make your own water, you will waste more than you will make which equals higher water bill. I don't even need to go into the cost of corals and fish, some can be very pricey. If you something goes wrong, depending on what it is, that can be very pricey as well. Your tank needs to sit without anything in it besides water and rock, for at least 3 months to acclimate so keep that in mind as well. I am not trying to talk you out of doing it so please dont think that, I just want you to know what you are getting in to thats all. It can be very rewarding though. Hope all works out. >)))>

dsn112
09/23/2011, 11:59 AM
I did the opposite of you. I went into a saltwater specialty LFS, they had this sweet 29g bowfront "Package" and without any research I bought it. Found this site a week later and found out that most of the stuff I bought was crap and within 3 months had nothing left but the tank and stand and heater, everything else I bought again.

First off, I agree with looking around here and on craigslist for people in your area. Finding a 125 rr with a stand, sump and alot of the other stuff you need isn't too hard and will save you a ton of cash.

For a big tank like that, you absolutely want an RODI. I have used one from the filter guys and spectrapure, and they both are great with great service.

Next you should get the 125 if you can afford it, otherwise you will get the 60 and be unhappy then within a year you will get the ich to upgrade. I always am a believer of buy they biggest you can afford to maintain. I like to calculate it to be $20-$40 per gallon to get it all going depending on the equipment anywhere from 2500-5000 if you buy it all new.

No filter, live rock, sand, and a protein skimmer is all you need, with a 20-30 gallon sump, you can add a refugium and your filtration will be good. Just make sure you have some good powerheads to move that water in your tank. Vortech are expensive, but are amazing and worth every penny. Always can get them used here.

Lighting, I am an LED guy, but I really like t-5 too. Both good, MH is the best look I have ever had, but the energy consumtion and heat make me never want it again. Its good, but not for me.

Marinedepot.com sells everything you can ever need with many reviews for each product. I am a believer in supporting your LFS, however for the most part, they are insane with their drygoods pricing. I always give them a shot to match the online price and if they can't I don't feel bad buying online.

I think that is all I can add for now :)

Dave

SGrim80
09/23/2011, 01:11 PM
I'm a newbie as well and this is what I found helped me the most:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

Some of those stickies really dont help the issue, they confuse it more IMO. I read through all of the links in the link above and felt like that straightened me out pretty good.

Enjoy! :reading:

firebirdude
09/23/2011, 01:29 PM
I didn't read all the responses, but let me just say.... you have a lot to learn. This hobby isn't easy and it gets expensive very quickly. You'll have thousands wrapped up in no time. If you think I'm kidding, start keeping a tally.

Your questions are extremely general and beginner. While I realize the need to learn, and that we're in the new to hobby section, just making you realize you have yet to even scratch the surface of what you'll need to know to have a successful reef tank.

Spend the next couple months researching. RC is a great place. Good luck!

J2T
09/23/2011, 02:19 PM
Once I decide on tank size, what do I do next?

Buy it and all of the equipment? :D

Where do I get the water? I understand I can't use tap water, is there a way to treat tap water to make it salt water safe?

You 'can' use tapwater (I used it in a FO tank) but realize you will most likely battle algae constantly if you use it. Do yourself a favor and buy an RO/DI unit and save yourself a lot of headaches.

With the water, if I have to use store bought water... am I really going to buy 120 gallons of water?? (I'm all for it, just wondering if there's an easier way?)

Again, get the RO/DI unit and make your own water. Mentioned above there is a good bit of wastewater (sometimes around 4 gallons waste to 1 gallon good stuff), but the amount should be insignificant to not even noticeable in your water bill.

The tank comes with a stand, hood, and light. I know I can just buy a filter to accomidate my tank size, but, what is recommended? What type of filter? Any specific brand/style?

I would go with a sump to hide your protein skimmer and other equipment down below as well as setup a refugium.

Where can I buy a powerhead/protein skimmer? (Only 2 Petstores around are Petco and PetSmart)

Online is your friend for most things but some things may not work out cheaper that way. Compare local to online and don't forget to factor in shipping when comparing, not everything will be cheaper online.

# Reverse Osmosis/DeIonizer - Where to purchase also/What does this do?

A lot of sources though I've heard good things of BRS

:wavehand: Welcome to the obsession...takes a lot of patience but is extremely rewarding. Seeing all of the life in your tank never gets old.

Oh and do not keep a tally of costs...it will depress you lol

Murrgh
09/23/2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm trying to find a good tank online, from a reliable site, can anyone point me to one?

Google didn't really help.

firebirdude
09/23/2011, 05:03 PM
The tank and stand is one thing you should buy local. Shipping would kill you. Check criagslist even.