PDA

View Full Version : Multiple yellowhead jawfish in 20g?

JaneG
09/22/2011, 03:26 PM
Hi,
It's a long story, but basically I only have one yellowhead jawfish who was a part of a pair. As I wanted to have a pair in my tank, though, I was thinking of repurchasing a confirmed pair but I was wondering how they would do with the one I have currently? I know this would *never* work with bluespotted jawfish being as territorial as they are. But I have no idea about yellowheads. Do you think it would work to have 3 total in my tank or is that a bad idea? Any experience? I would hate to give away the one I have right now.

OodleyBoodely
09/22/2011, 05:23 PM
I think they need about a foot square spacing minimum between den sites...smaller territories than BSJ but still a defined territory. I've been researching these fish, too, for a 12x30 37g. Sorry, I don't recall where I got that nugget of info, but, I recall thinking that I might be able to go with two pairs or two single non-paired pearlies if I used a rock in the center to provide a visual barrier. I'm not sure just how tolerant they are in such close confines, but, I think you would be pushing it with 3 in a 20g.

JaneG
09/22/2011, 09:31 PM
I think they need about a foot square spacing minimum between den sites...smaller territories than BSJ but still a defined territory. I've been researching these fish, too, for a 12x30 37g. Sorry, I don't recall where I got that nugget of info, but, I recall thinking that I might be able to go with two pairs or two single non-paired pearlies if I used a rock in the center to provide a visual barrier. I'm not sure just how tolerant they are in such close confines, but, I think you would be pushing it with 3 in a 20g.

My tank is designed with two "islands" and a fairly open sandbed. Do you think that would make it possible? As you can imagine, it isn't easy catching a jawfish without stressing it out so I would rather not take out the one I have if I don't have to (plus I like jawfish so I wouldn't mind 3). Do you think there's any chance they'd be fine? :( Or do you think it's a 100% no go?

alton
09/23/2011, 05:57 AM
I replied on your other post. I would not try three, just add a second.

OodleyBoodely
09/24/2011, 08:44 PM
I don't have actual experience owning these fish, just going off my own research...I would not try, especially if you already know it will be difficult to remove one if it doesn't work out.

blennielove
09/24/2011, 08:58 PM
They are nasty if they don't like each other and someone will most likely be killed. If I were you, I would try to catch the one that is in the tank now and then get an established pair. I had a "pair" from the LFS, they got along for a week and then one was so frightened that it kept swimming in a corner. It made it easy to remove but then it was so beaten up and frightened that it died in a week.
How you can tell if they really paired up is that they will remain in physical contact with each other at all times especially during stress, like in a cubicle at the LFS. My LFS will call them "pair" if two fishes tolerate each other but are not true pair. So be careful!