PDA

View Full Version : salt mixing question

smellslikeTUNA
09/22/2011, 04:29 PM
So i am about 10/35 cups into mixing my red sea coral pro salt mix, just wondering do I need to take a refractometer reading after it has completely mixed/dissolved or wait 24hrs?

disc1
09/22/2011, 04:32 PM
Why not both?

It doesn't cost anything to use the refractometer?

smellslikeTUNA
09/22/2011, 04:34 PM
Why not both?

hmmmm very good point :hmm3: haha just wondering how I am "supposed" to do it for reference

smellslikeTUNA
09/22/2011, 04:35 PM
also wouldn't the refractometer read higher than it should it everything isn't completely dissolved? (totally just guessing, someone tell me if im wrong)

ReeferBill
09/22/2011, 04:43 PM
Actully it will read less if salt is not completly dissolved but as long as you follow the directions and mix with a powerhead or airstone for 24 hours before use you should be fine.I almost never checked mt water when mixing. I check the tanks salt content and only have a rise in salinty from the addition of daily calcium and buffer additions...Then adjust with fresh R.O. water...:beer:

cloak
09/22/2011, 04:44 PM
I would let the salt mix for a few hours to get an accurate reading. Salt can dissolve in a matter of minutes. I don't have a refractometer, but the floating glass hydrometer I do have hasn't steered me wrong in this time frame.

smellslikeTUNA
09/22/2011, 04:49 PM
I would let the salt mix for a few hours to get an accurate reading. Salt can dissolve in a matter of minutes. I don't have a refractometer, but the floating glass hydrometer I do have hasn't steered me wrong in this time frame.

I'm gonna be using both, got scared after reading all the hyrometer stories on here and pulled the trigger on the refractometer

disc1
09/22/2011, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna be using both, got scared after reading all the hyrometer stories on here and pulled the trigger on the refractometer

You won't be disappointed.

snorvich
09/22/2011, 06:12 PM
Why not both?

Exactly. You will get a better handle on your process. The more you understand your process, the better off you will be.