PDA

View Full Version : best way to change over tank to new equipment

susz
09/23/2011, 09:34 AM
I have a 5 gallon nano with a clown fish, some filter feeders, mushrooms, and sponge. I have some great purple coraline algae. It has been running for about 4 years and I need to replace the bio mechanism and also the sand. I was thinking that it would be best to do this is 2 stages. Either change the bio filteratin sysem and then wait a month and then change the old crushed shells for fresh live sand. I am worried that my tank will get a "toxic tank syndrome' if I don't replace the crushed shells as they are worn to dust. If any has any comments on this procedure , I would apprecaite knowing how they would do it. I have a ph of 8.1, ammonia 0, nitates 0, nitrites 0, calcuim 390 ppm and dKh of 5.6. After doning these changes I was going to work on getting my dKh higher and also my calcuim levels. thanks susz

john miller
09/23/2011, 12:05 PM
You should be able to put everything in buckets and then replace your substrate (wash very thoroughly) and put everything right back. I've done the same thing before when moving tanks.

What kind of filtration system?