PDA

View Full Version : Firefish is pregnant...success or meal for CUC?

WienerDog
09/24/2011, 08:26 PM
Anybody have any experience.....the pregnant one has been hiding in its bolt hole for a few weeks...looked in and noticed she's huge. Is it possible to have any success? Its also very cool to watch the relationship.

Recty
09/25/2011, 01:22 AM
The main problem is not the clean up crew, but your filtration system. Most aquarium gear (protein skimmer, powerheads, return pumps) are a small life forms worst nightmare. Unless you raised the small fish in a specialized system there is only a very very very small chance you'll end up with surviving babies.

aquaph8
09/25/2011, 11:26 AM
Has anyone bred fire fish in captivity yet?

WienerDog
09/25/2011, 02:30 PM
Sounds about right. In my fresh tank, my pleco's had babies. out of the hundreds that were swimming one survived. He's over a year now and my pleco's have a lil family. So, I am not very optimistic.

Recty
09/25/2011, 06:24 PM
Sounds about right. In my fresh tank, my pleco's had babies. out of the hundreds that were swimming one survived. He's over a year now and my pleco's have a lil family. So, I am not very optimistic.
Saltwater fish babies are pelagic, they float around in the ocean for weeks to months before morphing into something that resembles a fish and starts swimming around. Freshwater you have a decent chance because most freshwater fish hatch swimming and being able to fend for themselves. The firefish eggs will just float around developing for at least a couple weeks, during which you'll most certainly lose them to your filtration.

WienerDog
09/26/2011, 02:14 PM
AAAaahhhh...came home today and she (the pregnant chick) was eaten in half. Her mid-section was complete devoured. Eeeewwww....sad though. Now I have a widowed firefish.