PDA

View Full Version : LPS Boot Camp - For a Newbie

wardda
09/25/2011, 01:04 PM
Hello,

I am just starting to move into LPS Corals, I have had softies up until now, and I'm setting up a small frag tank (10 gallon) as my test area to get started with them as my main tank doesn't have significant lighting yet.

I am starting with a purple and green frogspawn and I'm wondering if there is a quick rundown of what I need to be aware of beyond the basics that I have been doing for my display tank and softies... (actually I fine with being reschooled on the basics.)

Sorry for such a basic open ended question, just looking for the best starting point from the experts.

Thanks,
Dan

APBonds
09/25/2011, 03:26 PM
LPS doesn't like as much flow as softies. Check KH, Cal,and at least check Mag every now and then. As you add more lps to the tank your cal and alk will start to drop faster. Light and flow needs are diffrent for each lps so research each one to be sure where to place it.
Only other thing I can think of is get a reef safe epoxey for mounting frags.

Dave VG
09/25/2011, 04:46 PM
Specs on your tank size, lighting, fuge etc. would be a big help in trying to answer your question. If it were me I would just put them in the main tank as the smaller the tank the harder it is to manage the parameters. I’m assuming your main tank is stable enough

wardda
09/26/2011, 07:07 AM
Tank is just a 10 gallon stand alone, lighting is a boostled (http://www.boostled.com/collections/par30-reef/products/par30-reef-lamps) 3blue 2 white. I would put it in my main tank but I just don't have the lighting for it.

Also wondering if there is any other livestock that should be in the tank... clean up crew, a fish, etc...

Thanks,
Dan

Dave VG
09/26/2011, 10:09 AM
No the specs on your main tank. LPS do not need a ton of light. People keep them under PC lighting.

wardda
09/26/2011, 10:15 AM
Main tank is a 55g with a 25g sump/fuge, almost 2 years old. Running a skimmer and power filter, two hydor powerheads, roughly 75lbs of live rock. But the lighting is really crap just stock freshwater lights total of 30watts.