PDA

View Full Version : PH help

amnbowser
09/26/2011, 12:49 PM
Well for some reason I can't get my ph up. Need some help my ph is at 7.94 using a digital meter and a test kit same reading on both.

210 gallon tank 40 gallon sump

Alk 11.5
Cal 500
Mag +1280 kit only reads to this
Temp 79

Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0

Dosing a and b
Micro bacter and vodka

stingythingy45
09/26/2011, 01:00 PM
I would stop chasing PH with buffers,you'll drive the alk out of site.
Your PH is fine.It will fluctuate when lights are on and off.Aeration also can change PH along with raised CO2 in a closed up house.

Why are you dosing Micro bacter and vodka?Is this a new tank?

amnbowser
09/26/2011, 01:16 PM
Had some nitrate issues. Started dosing vodka and it went but cyano started so I started mico bacteria and the cyan went away and my water got extremely clear. Any suggestions I am no pro. How can I improve my O2 I think this may very well be the problem I have heard something about running a line outside then to my skimmer please explain?

stingythingy45
09/26/2011, 01:40 PM
It's really not a big deal to have a cyanobacteria outbreak in a tank that's rather new.
Nutrient export is going to be your biggest friend when combating cyano or any nuisance algae.So making sure you're not feed too much is the first priority.
Next would be mechanical and biological filtration and flow.
Do you run a skimmer?
What do you have for powerheads in your tank?
What's the bioload,how often do you feed and how much?

stingythingy45
09/26/2011, 01:44 PM
Running the skimmer venturi intake line outside would bring in fresh outside air to be mixed with tank water in the skimmer body.This helps as there's less CO2 outside(or at least we hope).Caution has to be used as any outside toxins like,pesticides...ect...ect could be sucked into the skimmer.

amnbowser
09/26/2011, 02:16 PM
Yes I run a skimmer and this tanks been up for about 9 months. The cyano was from the vodka all is well with that situation I Am in a maint. dose with it.

HighlandReefer
09/26/2011, 03:38 PM
As long as your pH remains between 7.8-8.5 you are fine. ;)

Randy discusses low pH problems and what causes it in this article. In most cases it is high CO2 levels in airtight houses. Open windows or using kalk water will help bring up your pH level.

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

bertoni
09/26/2011, 09:47 PM
I agree that the pH is fine, and I wouldn't worry. Indoor air tends to have a lot of carbon dioxide, so pH in that range is very common.