PDA

View Full Version : What do I use for a baby tank set up?

reefslugs
09/26/2011, 05:07 PM
I have a 200g tank. I have two pairs of clowns laying eggs all the time. One pair of pec's and one pair of the orange skunks. I've decided to try and see if I can raise some babies. I ordered the live rodifers tonight. I have the instructions and all the equipment to them. Now I'm trying to figure out what do I do for the baby tank. I'm thinking about getting a couple of ten gallons. I know I'm going to need heaters, but what do I do for filtration? What other stuff do I need?

jbax
09/26/2011, 08:47 PM
buy the book clownfishes by joyce d wilkerson. it gives you a day by day schedule of what to do with food/water and filtration.

tpdpercula
09/26/2011, 09:14 PM
I agree with jbax, the book is key to raising clowns.

RandyReefer
09/26/2011, 09:44 PM
buy the book clownfishes by joyce d wilkerson. it gives you a day by day schedule of what to do with food/water and filtration.

I am wanting to breed clownfish to, I was trying to get that book but it goes for like 60 bucks and higher :(

slosht
09/26/2011, 11:33 PM
Whoa, the prices on that book skyrocketed, a quick google search and I found it for $30.99 at 1 place and $60+ at others. A good second choice is "The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes" by Matthew L. Wittenrich. It doesn't just focus on clowns but it is full of useful information, can be had for ~30.

jbax
09/27/2011, 05:33 PM
the price of the book is worth the information in it.

wait till you buy all the equipment needed to breed clownfish.

reefslugs
09/27/2011, 07:21 PM
A lot of places have the book discontinued. I'm not buying a 100 dollar book written in 1997.

2reefnutz
09/27/2011, 07:28 PM
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/

This is where you can get a ton of info..... also Barbara on reef-geeks.com is a pro and makes it much easier than the book by Joyce W. IMO.....good luck :)

RandyReefer
09/27/2011, 07:55 PM
I found a site that sells the book for less than $20. It's called aquastoreusa I haven't bought it yet but I will soon. I think the owners of the online store don't know the price skyrocketed. Lol

jbax
09/27/2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/

This is where you can get a ton of info..... also Barbara on reef-geeks.com is a pro and makes it much easier than the book by Joyce W. IMO.....good luck :)

the book gives you a step by step, day by day schedule on what to do with the fry. it even has pictures. clownfish still spawn the same way they did 14yrs ago. but instead of bbs you can feed Otohime.

I have a 200g tank. I have two pairs of clowns laying eggs all the time. One pair of pec's and one pair of the orange skunks. I've decided to try and see if I can raise some babies. I ordered the live rodifers tonight. I have the instructions and all the equipment to them. Now I'm trying to figure out what do I do for the baby tank. I'm thinking about getting a couple of ten gallons. I know I'm going to need heaters, but what do I do for filtration? What other stuff do I need?

do you want to raise like one or two batches or do you want to raise multiple batches?

are you going to sell the babies to your LFS? from home? to a breeder?

Aaarrrggg
09/27/2011, 08:47 PM
If you sometimes get lucky and pick up that book for cheaper on Amazon. Managed to grab one for $19 a couple of weeks ago.