PDA

View Full Version : First time 37g

Dar_Dahlen
09/27/2011, 12:05 AM
I have a few questions, but heres a bit of the back story:

So a friend of mine gave me a 37g tank that he didnt want, hes been in the hobby a while and i've always had a passing interest. He also gave me about 10 books, most of them were written about 1995, some of the things ive been reading on the forums has been different from what is in the books (updated info im guessing). Anyways i eventually want to have coral in the tank, but at the moment ive got 40 lb of live sand in the tank and im going to get about 40 lb of LR tomorrow. ive ordered a light (4 T-5 Lights, 2 actinic and 2 10k), ive got a 200w heater, im looking into skimmers. I was thinking about the Reef Octopus BH1000 but im not sure if that is overkill or not, i know "when in doubt, get bigger" but price is also kind of a concern.

Questions:
1) Are there any more affordable skimmers that would work, or for the price is this the one i should go with (Reef Octopus BH1000)

2) once i have the LR/LS in the tank, is there anything else i should add, clean up crew, 1 tough fish (like a clown fish or a damsel (which i dont want because of their bad temper)), salt? (thats a joke)

3) Is there any thing else i should do until the tank cycles?

4) Is there anything i might have forgotten to get?

i would have attached pics but atm its pretty boring, just sand in a tank.

Dave & Monica
09/27/2011, 02:29 PM
Hey, welcome to RC. Reading the sticky threads at the top of the forum should answer your questions. For number 1, Remora skimmers are good hang on skimmer.

harthag12
09/27/2011, 05:49 PM
1: Remora hang on back skimmer is affordable and decent
2: wouldn't add anything until it cycles.
3: Got appropriate testing materials?
4: did it come w/ a powerhead of some sort?