PDA

View Full Version : Never been so thankfull for a cardboard box...an almost R.I.P.

Reef1589
09/27/2011, 01:45 AM
So here it is...2:15 a.m. and im dead asleep, roll over and i hear almost like a crinkle of a empty water bottle.. ... (thats what it sounded like to me, i was asleep of course)... but it was enough to wake me up.. kinda sat up..like wth? ... didnt hear it at all.. laid back down
probably 2:17 i heard it again.. thinking wth.. then again.. this time didnt sound so much like a bottle anymore, sounded like a little splash of water..
by like 2:19.. im still laying down.. but my brains thinking now, thought id shine a flashlight on the tank my Snowonyx Clownfish are in... to my suprise, i cant find the male anywere.. in the tank at all.. i start to panic a little bit..then i hear it flap again.. behind the tank.. as i look he apparently, jumped out of the tank.. and got wedged between an api test kit box.. and the back of the tank.. if it wasnt for that box... he would have probably flopped off the desk, and onto the carpet floor and i would had never heard him.. (the noise from the start i heard was his tail flopping and hitting the box)

he had look like he been out of the water for quite some time.. but i honestly have no idea.. he didnt move at all at first when put back in the tank, just nose dived to the bottom, i thought he was a goner.. after a couple seconds go by... he starts breathing more.. and more.. and wiggling a little bit.. and breathing more..and starting to move a little bit more.. and now he's swimming a little bit... but it just makes me nervous..
idk what will be to come when i wake up in thhe morning, he lost a little bit of color.. if i even can fall back asleep.. idk what i woulda done if last week i lost my carpet anemone and this week i lost 1 of my snowonyx clownfish..

ill post pictures of him in the morning, to show his color..

Winwood
09/27/2011, 02:01 AM
Haha! I once swapped out a 55 gal tank to a 125 and accidentally dropped my male allardi clown without knowing it. A half hour later, when I was finally putting the last of my corals in the new tank, I found the male allardi. It hardly had any moisture left in its body. I thought it was done for sure. Without any other option I placed it in the new tank and continued arranging my new aquarium. Within five minutes the little guy barely started breathing again and about twenty minutes later he was swimming perfectly. These little guys have amazing resilency sometimes. I hope you have a similar result.

ecupcar
09/27/2011, 05:20 AM
Wow, great save!

BonsaiNut
09/27/2011, 07:17 AM
:) I once drained a 125 and left it sitting for two days with just a 1" layer of sand/mud in the bottom. It was an old plexi tank and badly scratched so I was going to throw it away. When the weekend came my friend came over and helped me carry it down two flights of stairs. We took it out to the dumpster, and as we dumped it in, all the gunk slid down to one end of the tank... and then out jumped a green wrasse that I hadn't seen in several months :) He had been hiding in the sand apparently. I grabbed him in my hands, ran up to my 3rd floor apartment, and dropped him in a temporary tank I had setup. I couldn't believe it at the time :)

Batreef
09/27/2011, 01:35 PM
wow thats awesome i never get that lucky i just got home from the LFS with a blue spot jawfish and about a half hour later watched it jump out of the tank. immediately ran to the tank to get him, but, my cat beat me to him picked him up and darted off to the basement..........that damn cat

Supernova26
09/27/2011, 03:15 PM
wow thats awesome i never get that lucky i just got home from the LFS with a blue spot jawfish and about a half hour later watched it jump out of the tank. immediately ran to the tank to get him, but, my cat beat me to him picked him up and darted off to the basement..........that damn cat

:lol::lol::lol::lol:I am sorry but that is just too funny.

Reef1589
09/27/2011, 03:27 PM
just got home from work, he seems to be doing alright... breathing a little abnormally, but he responded to food..and what not.. so i think he'll be fine, i hope... idk how long he was out of the water... as when i found he was kind of at the slimy almost dry feeling..

but i think he'll be fine.. :)

and dang sorry to hear about your jaw fish, that really sucks actually :(

rucmd
09/27/2011, 03:29 PM
Well I guess API is good for something afterall lol

jbax
09/27/2011, 04:22 PM
time to make trip to hd or lowes for some bird netting.

reggiepe
09/27/2011, 04:32 PM
Last summer I came home from work one day. The first thing I do is check on the tanks. I have a 30 breeder sitting behing my display and had a pair (so I thought!) of Maroons. Much to my dismay, there was the smaller of the two on the floor. No idea how long he had been there, but looked like a while, as the floor was dry and it appeared to be as well. I picked its stiff little body up and placed him in the back of the reef ready overflow and like the OP said. it just nose dived to the bottom. I came back about 20 - 30 minutes later to start my daily tasks on the tanks and it was swimming around, appearing to have a little trouble breathing, but definitely 100% alive. I thought sure it was a goner. Tough little buggers they are.

Reef1589
09/28/2011, 10:57 AM
So it seems the only damage he received.. (im assuming) ... is his tail fin looks a little deteriorated?.. im assuming from drying out, you cant actually tell in the pic, but all his fins are a little scruffed up... but the tail is the worse. but im just guessing thats from being out of the water and drying up..

http://i51.*******.com/2hyhxf8.jpg

Korrine
09/28/2011, 02:59 PM
glad it seems he'll be ok!!

Definitely get some bird netting and make a cover!!! None of my tanks with fish are w/out covers!!

edit...

found it for ya :)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817485&highlight=screen