PDA

View Full Version : Network Question

tgbaby1
09/27/2011, 10:34 AM
I had successfully set up my apex through my home network and installed a wireless adapter and was I able to gain access. I was also able to access it through safari from my iphone while on 3G but I never checked it from a computer on an outside network because I assumed this meant it was working.

Now for some reason I am unable access it while at home or from safari. The strange thing is that I have aquanotes installed on my iphone and it still works regardless of my location.

I am planning on just staring over again but wanted to check here first to see if there was an easier solution. Any ideas?

RussM
09/27/2011, 11:13 AM
What exactly happens when you try to access it from a computer? No response at all? 404 Page not found error? Do you get a login prompt? Did you change the Apex HTTP port to something other than the default of 80?

tgbaby1
09/27/2011, 12:04 PM
I get a page cannot be found error. I did change the port from 80 but used the new port in the address.

RussM
09/27/2011, 01:17 PM
Do you get the login prompt?

Please list the exact URL you are attempting to use.

tgbaby1
09/27/2011, 01:51 PM
Do you get the login prompt?

Please list the exact URL you are attempting to use.

I do not get the loging prompt anymore.

http://192.168.1.xxx:8000/status.sht

aquamanic
09/27/2011, 03:32 PM
Can you telnet into your controller? Instructions are in the User Guide. That will tell you if the problem is with the webserver/web pages or the network.

tgbaby1
01/30/2012, 01:16 PM
Well I went back through the user guide and I now have access through my home newtork, aquanotes, as well as safari on my iphone using 3G.

I am still unable to access from my computer on an outside network. I tried connecting via telnet and connection failed.

Do I need to be on my home network to use telnet?

Not sure if it matters but I am also using a wireless (gaming) adapter.

RussM
01/30/2012, 01:28 PM
You need to port forward port 23 in your router to get external telnet access.

tgbaby1
02/01/2012, 02:55 PM
Ok, I am able to get in through telnet but still unable to access from computer on outside network.

Majority_Rules
02/05/2012, 03:33 PM
Are you normally able to access an Apex from outside the network while still using a private IP address? I don't own an Apex so I don't know anything about their networking configuration, but I would think that browsing to 192.168.1.xxx from the WAN wouldn't get you anywhere, correct?

RussM
02/05/2012, 03:47 PM
Are you normally able to access an Apex from outside the network while still using a private IP address? I don't own an Apex so I don't know anything about their networking configuration, but I would think that browsing to 192.168.1.xxx from the WAN wouldn't get you anywhere, correct?

You are correct. 192.168.x.x is reserved for private use and cannot be directly connected to the Internet.

I worked with the OP offline and his problem was firewalling/security policy at his work location.

Clintonramsey
02/05/2012, 04:11 PM
You must use no-ip or another free Dns client to access your local ip from outside your network. Then you would use something like http://yourtank.no-ip.org:8000 this will route you from the world Internet to your specific network. Sounds like you have everything else correct. Be sure to open port 8000 on your router as well.