PDA

View Full Version : Banded Shrimp a killer?

FxdupCobra
09/28/2011, 12:29 AM
Could my banded shrimp have killed my blood/fire shrimp and my peppermint shrimps? He tends to look like he is constantly going after anything that moves?

StephLionfish
09/28/2011, 12:32 AM
I'd say Yes. They can be very aggressive. I saw a video once of a CBS chasing off fish.. .

Jeremy Blaze
09/28/2011, 05:48 AM
I had one that would atch feeder guppies and eat them!

FxdupCobra
09/28/2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, could he kill sleeping fish? Purple Flame goby?

Jeremy Blaze
09/28/2011, 08:36 AM
If mine could catch swimming guppies, I am sure they can catch a 'sleeping' firefish, in short, yes they are killers.

donya
09/28/2011, 11:10 AM
He tends to look like he is constantly going after anything that moves?

What species in what size tank? If it is as described and not an exaggeration, it sounds hungry or cramped/threatened. Every happy CBS I've seen has spent a lot of time sitting like lump during the day when given a sufficiently large bubble of personal space. But, a CBS that is constantly having its feelers bumped or having its personal space bubble invaded will quickly become a rampaging, angry CBS.

GerritM
09/28/2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, definitely CBS can be very aggressive and kill fish. My CBS was like Dr. Jakel (day) and Mr. Hyde (night). The male kills the female after 1,5 years harmony and then a lot of my adult damsels in the night in my 90 gal tank.

For me now, never ever CBS in a mixed reef tank with "little" fishes.

pagojoe
09/28/2011, 08:32 PM
Yup. However, if you have a large brittlestar (of any variety) it could also be the culprit. They are known shrimp killers.

Cheers,

Don