PDA

View Full Version : Cycling outside the tank

ScottB
09/28/2011, 07:58 AM
I think this works, and I really don't know what the down side would be, so I am asking you fine folks for an opinion. My tank and all its parts are not ready, nor is the location I want to put it in. Not only that, it cold easily be a month or longer before it is. Instead of losing that time, I had thought about putting my sand, both dead and alive in a Brute container, adding my dry rock to cure, chucking in a seed piece of live rock, and cycle the whole thing (or at least begin to) in the garage. When the tank/stand/location is ready, just work it like a regular tank move, of which I have done several times, just not lately.

It would seem to me that the rock would have enough ammonia creating potential, and if not, I could chuck in a shrimp or two. Also, I have heaters and pumps and such dedicated to the cycle, so I would not short change anything.

Thoughts?

Palting
09/28/2011, 08:12 AM
I don't see why not. You'll definitely need to provide food like shrimp or intermittent fish food for the bacteria to develop, as you will have mostly dry rock. My only hesitation would be the live sand and detritus build up, but if the time it sits isn't too long, I think you'll be OK.

cilyjr
09/28/2011, 08:20 AM
i would start the rock. many people do.

most will suggest not to do the sand because when sand is deep alot of anaerobic bacteria can build up in the sand where the water is very low flow and there is little to no oxygen. when it is stirred up it can release a bunch of bad stuff into the aquarium.

fishysteve
09/28/2011, 08:22 AM
I think that would definately work. Good thinking on your part for not wasting time.

ScottB
09/28/2011, 08:31 AM
So I think I'll leave the sand out (which makes the whole job easier). When I do put them together in the display, I should not see an ammonia bump, assuming the rock is completely cycled. A few days to smooth out, clear up and tune, and I can start populating, I would think.

Sugar Magnolia
09/28/2011, 08:33 AM
So I think I'll leave the sand out (which makes the whole job easier). When I do put them together in the display, I should not see an ammonia bump, assuming the rock is completely cycled. A few days to smooth out, clear up and tune, and I can start populating, I would think.

Yep! :thumbsup: I just finished cycling 35# of dry and live rock in a rubbbermade tote.

jacob.morgan78
09/28/2011, 08:47 AM
great idea!

I don't think I would do the sand just because it MIGHT be risky and it's not a big deal to add it once you get it set up.

If you do put the sand in, I would be sure to mix it up very regularly to make sure it's oxygenated. Make sure to get someone else to back this up as I'm definitely not an expert and have never done it before. It may be a bad idea due to something else I don't know about.

package
09/28/2011, 08:49 AM
I am currently cycling rock in a similar container, added live bacteria (forget the brand), couple pellets of food periodically, have a heater and a power head in the tub.

I also had never done it before, tank is not yet ready, did not see why it would not work.

harthag12
09/28/2011, 08:58 AM
+1 on leaving sand out, just for the fact that moving it out of the can into the tank would be a royal pain and most likely a large mess.

rogermccray
09/28/2011, 09:08 AM

I would think you are correct, just make sure you test your water parameters and not just assume you are okay. (I assume you were planning on doing this anyway, but it never hurts to say it... :D)

Agu
09/28/2011, 11:19 AM
Curing the rock in a tub/bucket will work fine. However remember to rotate the rock under water when you place it in the new tank. You don't want air bubbles trapped in the rock that could cause localized decomposition and a small cycle.

dublo8
09/28/2011, 12:30 PM
I did the same thing. Did this for 2 months with 60# of rock while was building the stabd and sump.A couple powerheads, a heater, HOB filter and an old prizm skimmer (knew I would find a use for that piece of junk lol.) if you have a current tank up and running just use your old water change water if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk