PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer size

Fireburd
09/28/2011, 08:34 AM
So I am getting ready to start making purchases for my first SW tank and I have a questions about skimmers. What size should be purchased I have seen recommendations from 30% bigger than your total volume to twice your total volume. While the concept makes sense to buy bigger than your tank size is there an added benefit to spending the extra money and purchasing something that can handle twice the size?

ski360
09/28/2011, 11:50 AM
It can't hurt anything other than your wallet...

Fireburd
09/28/2011, 12:21 PM
Well it is cause an affect. It hurts my wallet and then my wife hurts me :debi:

jformani
09/28/2011, 12:23 PM
rule of thumb is to go bigger. but dont go overboard. also the size of the skimmer depends on what you are going to keep? more fish, more skimmer, less fish and more corals you wont need a monster skimmer. hope this helps.

Fireburd
09/28/2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks jformani. I have not read that methodology before and does make a little more sense.

izzy123
09/28/2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I guess it all depends on who you ask.....

Some people like a bigger skimmer for the obvious reasons ( bigger skimmer= cleaner water)
And some people actually use it as an excuse to upgrade their tank in the future :D
And believe me, if you catch the "reefbug" you'll be thinking about upgrading pretty soon!!

I got a really big skimmer for my system ( rated for 5x my total water volume) BUT it has a downside IMO..... I think, because my skimmer is so big, it doesn't skim as it should..... it doesnt pull much out of the water.

I think that about 2x total water volume seems about right to me.

And hey, you can always upgrade the skimmer when you buy a bigger tank ;)

hope this helps

Ivan

Fireburd
09/29/2011, 02:42 PM
Well I didn't get an exact answer but I think I have a better understanding, thanks for the help.

T Smith
09/29/2011, 02:47 PM
All good information above.

My opinion is just like most all products I think manufacturer's inflate their ratings a bit, I'd go around double in size if it will fit into the space available.

Batreef
09/29/2011, 02:56 PM
+1 it completely depends on what kind of bio load you are planning on having and what you plan on keeping in the tank. double the size is a good way to go IMO if you go any larger you run the risk of the skimmer being less effective.