PDA

View Full Version : Confused/need answer

Airborne
09/28/2011, 02:37 PM
I paid a guy $400 to set up my tank. I have a 120g with a center overflow with a 2" drain and 3/4" returns. There are two holes drill in the bottom of the overflow. The hole drilled for the returns has a Y fitting, then flexible tubing going to the two 3/4" inch returns that are drill about 6" off the bottom of the tank in the overflow itself. The other two 3/4" returns are drill in the top back panel.

I have a reeflo dart as a return pump. The guy put a one way valve and then a blue handle check valve above that. He immediately reduced to 1" then 3/4" . The 3/4" runs the entire length from the top of the check valve to the return in the bottom of the tank and up the back to the other two returns.

The problem is there is very little movement in the sump. Almost stagnant water flow. I called Reeflo and they said that when the pump was reduced to 3/4" right away, it lost all its flow. Which explains why the flow in the tank is next to nothing. I added 2 MP40's for flow in the tank. But I wanted this set up right. Reeflo says to replumb using 1 1/2" all the way back to the tank and reduce at the last possible point behind the tank.

PROBLEM: One guy said I can't due to the way the tank was plumbed. He said you will lose all the water as the bottom returns is the problem. He said that I should get 2 60g tanks and move everything out of the tank and runs 2 60gals until I get this drained and replumbed.

Is there no other way?

thegrun
09/28/2011, 03:12 PM
I agree the two low returns present a potential for disaster. Sooner or later the one way valve will fail, and with the returns piped in so low, all but the last 6" of the water in your tank will drain into your sump and then overflow onto the floor if you loose power. Some pictures would help, there may be a way to patch the low return holes and drill new ones higher in the overflow without draining the entire tank.

Airborne
09/28/2011, 06:02 PM
Please review the pictures and tell me how to re-plumb the tank.

Thanks

Airborne
09/29/2011, 05:00 PM
Anyone out there with improvement thoughts?