PDA

View Full Version : brown spots on Sailfin Tang

Josecuervo1
09/28/2011, 03:06 PM
Good afternoon reefers !! hope you all are having a good day so far.
Today I found that my sailfin tang is covered with brown lines/dots on him. I have had him for about a month, first had ich all over him and after a while of feeding a mixture of Dr. G's anti parasitic food and treating with a supplement direct in the DT it got better but now I'm seeing brown spots, a bit bigger than what ich would look like but still not so big. He feeds fine and always "picking" at the algae I have on a clip, he loves that, and I don't see him rubbing on rocks or glass. Any ideas or help would be great. Water params are all good, temp steady at 79 F.
Thanks in advance !!

b0bab0ey
09/28/2011, 03:26 PM
Does it look like this?

http://cdn.saltwaterfish.com/f/fd/fd0cb2a5_blackich.jpg

If so, treat with Formalin. Also, start reading here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996184

Josecuervo1
09/28/2011, 04:19 PM
This is the best pic i can get of him, he wont stay put !!! click on it for a bigger pic.

b0bab0ey
09/28/2011, 07:14 PM
Kinda looks like Black Ich but the stuff on the tail looks white!

Here's a recent thread where a poster says he's had success treating Black Ich w/Prazi, a reef safe treatment:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075807

Josecuervo1
09/28/2011, 08:22 PM
Thank you for your help !!! I'm still not sure if it is black ich, it looks like bigger spot/blotches of brown, he still has ich though. So, I will put him in QT but done know what to use to treat him, could be so many things... :worried:

Josecuervo1
09/28/2011, 08:25 PM
this is a better pic of him..... Please look at the lower fin, where you can see more of those "spots"

b0bab0ey
09/29/2011, 12:59 PM
Well, this is what I would do. You say you know he has Ich so you know you definitely need to treat for that, which means either hypo or copper. So I would start off by treating with Cupramine (copper) and PraziPro. Now, maybe it's Black Ich and maybe the Prazi knocks it out, or maybe it doesn't. But Prazi is probably one of the safest meds to use and also relatively inexpensive. You can also safely use Prazi and Cupramine at the same time.

Now, if you do all that and the brown spots don't go away then I'd say through process of elimination you're probably dealing with something bacterial. For that, I'd recommend Furan-2 in your case.

Josecuervo1
09/29/2011, 03:45 PM
Ok, will do. Can I treat with PraziPro on the DT for all fish and just do QT for the tang ??

b0bab0ey
09/29/2011, 07:57 PM
Ok, will do. Can I treat with PraziPro on the DT for all fish and just do QT for the tang ??

You can, but if the Tang has Ich (in addition to Black Ich) then the entire tank is infected and it's only a matter of time before they all start showing symptoms. You really need to QT and treat ALL THE FISH, and leave your DT fallow for 8-9 weeks to starve out the remaining Ich.

I know this sucks, but trust me it's the only way to put this thing to bed once and for all. Otherwise, you will always have Ich in your DT and it will be a constant headache you have to deal with.