PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

loweryster
09/28/2011, 09:43 PM
I just received a brand new APEX today. Out of the box the main unit was configured for DHCP and it would not pull a address from my router. I'm using a Dlink DAP-1522 wireless bridge and if I plug in my laptop I can get an address but the APEX will not. It works fine if I assign it an IP. Anyways after playing around with it for a few hours I decided to unplug the power and see what happens. This is what I noticed:

1. clock gets reverted back to 24/hrs
2. password resets to default
3. email settings back to default
4. display settings back to default

Lets say I did in fact loose power, I would like an email sayings it's back up. But if I loose the email config how is this possible?

I'm running SW Version 4.11_8B11

RussM
09/28/2011, 10:05 PM
I suspect that the configuration file is messed up somehow.

Since you just got it, you probably don't have a lot configured as yet. I suggest you do an Initialize All (essentially, a factory reset to defaults).

In the Misc setup web page, check the 'Reboot system after update' box, then Choose 'Initialize All' from the Initialize memory dropdown, then click the 'Update Misc Settings' button.

See if it behaves normally after that.

kenargo
09/28/2011, 10:06 PM
DHCP is enabled by default but I've never heard of a case where it was unable to pull an address unless the router is configured that way (e.g., if the router was configured to for certain MAC addresses or the DHCP range was used up).

Settings should not get reset in anycase; they are saved in non-volitile memory. Something doesn't sounds right.

loweryster
09/28/2011, 10:15 PM
Ok I'll do the initialize all. But in the past when I had a aqua controller jr. this would mess up the temp probe calibration.

RussM
09/28/2011, 10:23 PM
Ok I'll do the initialize all. But in the past when I had a aqua controller jr. this would mess up the temp probe calibration.
Go into probe setup, and see what the current Offset value is. You can then restore that value after doing the Init All. Each offset count of 1 biases the temperature by 0.1 degrees. Just choose the temp probe then click Calibrate, then adjust the temperate up or down in .1 increments then click Finish. Repeat as needed so that the offset gets changed to the original value. You'll get the feel for how it works quickly enough.

loweryster
09/28/2011, 10:42 PM
Did it, made all the changes and confirmed on the display setting were there. Then unplugged it for 15 secs, still lost the same settings. And still did not pull a address, it's defaulting to 192.168.1.50, my subnet is x.x.0.x

RussM
09/28/2011, 10:43 PM
Reload the firmware; if that doesn't help, it's time to call Neptune support (or your reseller)

loweryster
09/28/2011, 10:54 PM
Did that before posting. If they don't reply by lunch time tomorrow I'll give them a call.

loweryster
09/28/2011, 10:55 PM
Thx for your help btw.

reef.saltwater
09/28/2011, 11:45 PM
Did that before posting. If they don't reply by lunch time tomorrow I'll give them a call.

I am sure Kurt will get back to you. Very much responsive.

loweryster
09/29/2011, 08:44 PM
I talked to them today and found out what my problem was...time...Apparently it takes 1hr for settings to get saved into memory.

RussM
09/29/2011, 09:38 PM
Apparently it takes 1hr for settings to get saved into memory.Are you absolutely sure that's what he meant?

As Kenargo mentioned earlier, configuration setting are stored in non-volatile RAM; in my experience (and I do a *lot* of tinkering with my Apex), settings are saved instantly. In fact, I just tested this deliberately...

Saved configuration
Initialize All
[After the Apex rebooted, Apex was at factory defaults]
Configured email & network
Rebooted by removing power about 30 seconds after applying changes
[email & network settings were retained]
Configured a couple of outlets and profile
Rebooted by removing power about 30 seconds after applying changes
[outlet & profile settings were retained]

Exactly as it should be....

loweryster
09/30/2011, 01:34 PM
This is what I was told. The settings are in fact saved now. Do a simple test like turning on the key beep then unplug the power and see if its still on once it's back up. Mine would not, but since I left it alone for 4hrs it's saved. I wish Neptune would chime in here and confirm.

brtarr
09/30/2011, 05:53 PM
If the unit is brand new out-of-the-box I believe the internal battery needs time to charge up, this is probably what you were experiencing.

loweryster
09/30/2011, 06:19 PM
That's one of the first questioned I asked, but the tech could not tell me if the battery is rechargeable.