PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate test kit input

Fryman
09/29/2011, 11:43 AM
Any experienced reefers have suggestions on the best/most reliable test kits?

My API nitrate kit is just under a year old, with maybe ~30% left in the bottles. I was getting 0 nitrate for months, then started seeing readings (either the 1st or 2nd color up from 0). I borrowed another kit to confirm, but it doesn't detect any nitrate in my tank. I figured maybe my kit was too old, so I tested it on fresh RO/DI water, which came back zero. Maybe because it's fresh water? I dunno if the API kit works on freshwater or not. I should have tried it on new mixed saltwater, but didn't get around to it.

So now I have 2 conflicting readings, and am planning to buy a tie-breaker on my way home today. I want to make sure there hasn't been a shift, since I did get a couple new fish about a month ago. What brand do people recommend?

BowieReefer84
09/29/2011, 11:43 AM
salifert

ReachTheSky
09/29/2011, 12:03 PM
I'm using Red Sea. It's very low range though - like 0.0 to 2.0 ppm.

API test kits are good and accurate for high range testing. Maybe get a new one of those?

fishchef
09/29/2011, 12:50 PM
I like Tetra. Had been using Salifert for years, but picked up an API for comparison. My nitrates were kind of high like 25/40 and the API was hard to read. The Tetra gives me a better color comparison, not just shades of red or pink.

BuckeyeTodd
09/29/2011, 01:14 PM
I've only used Salifert, and I don't recommend. When I'm done testing, I have no better clue what my trates are than when I started. Honestly I quit using it. Color matching is ridiculous. I use my hanna po4, and use that as my tool as to wether or not there are too many nutrients.

this is me
09/29/2011, 01:14 PM
Using Elos here. But I hate all the color chart type test. I rarely do it. All I know is I have nitrate and weekly waterchange is enough to keep it low.

hedgedrew
09/29/2011, 03:08 PM
Lamotte is best nitrate test by far!!!!!

sabbath
09/29/2011, 03:44 PM
Lamotte is best nitrate test by far!!!!!

I just got the new Red Sea test kit. It is really easy to defer from 0, .25...low levels, all the way to 60 something. Are you saying that it is wrong with the end color?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

HighlandReefer
09/29/2011, 05:45 PM
The kit you may want to use is the one that matches this known nitrate solution the closest. ;)

http://www.hach.com/nitrogen-nitrate-standard-solution-1-mg-l-as-no3-n-nist-500-ml/product?id=7640208918

You can also buy other known nitrate standards pre-mixed to other concentrations you are interested in. :)

You can also carefully dilute a higher standard concentration to the concentration you want.

http://www.hach.com/quick.search-quick.search.jsa?keywords=nitrate+standards

Nanook
09/29/2011, 08:06 PM
Lamotte is what I've used for over 10 years.

bertoni
09/29/2011, 10:04 PM
I've used Salifert and IO nitrate test kits, and they've seemed fine, but it's hard to verify accuracy. The API should work on saltwater, but I've never used it.

Xx__xX
09/29/2011, 11:31 PM
Lamotte is what I've used for over 10 years.

Will have to look into these...