PDA

View Full Version : LPS with Halides?

waranwill
09/29/2011, 12:17 PM
How many of you keep LPS with HQI/Halides?

I have a 36x18x18 50 gallon, 2 150w Hqi's 6" off the water surface.

There isn't really any shady spots in my tank, my Paly's, Zoas, and starburst growing like mad, and I'm about 8 weeks since I started this tank. Prior to Hurricane Katrina I had Sps and softies in this set up, but never really got into Lps, and this time I want to try a few.

Mainly looking at Elegance/duncans, symphyllia/Platygyra, Favite, or Acans. Not all of those, just one or two depending on colors available when the tank is ready, at least another month, probably 2-3 months.

My sand bed is 2-3 inches, so maybe 16" inches under the surface, I wouldn't consider that low placement, the light is just as bright as it is on top of the rocks, it seems?

think its doable? could I try a piece of frosted glass or something between the coral and the light to deflect it a bit?

thanks for any insights

BrookR1
09/29/2011, 12:39 PM
I used to keep LPS with halides (175W bell pendant about 12" over a 40 breeder). My frogspawn loved the light. Other LPS (red...or non-green) needed to be placed at the bottom of the tank or shaded under an SPS or rock. You could raise your lights to 10" off tank and see how they do. If the polyps don't fully extend, you could raise them higher or place egg crate or mesh over your tank to give it shade.

Stylaster
09/29/2011, 12:44 PM
I do I have 120 g tank with two 250 w 20 k radiums. That's all I have for lighting. Check out my chalice delight thread, they do great under halides

Batreef
09/29/2011, 04:23 PM
you should be fine i had a 250 HQI over my 50 breeder and had no problem what so ever with SPS also i have seen people put screen above the tank to make shade for LPS

Runfrumu
09/29/2011, 08:20 PM
I have and always will. Mine were good with 14k ushio's but the colors rock now under phoenix 14k, and I dont just mean the way they look under the light, I mean the colors are actually better.

I have 3 150watt hqi over a 125.

My tank:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2072714

Sk8r
09/29/2011, 09:32 PM
I use a 250 watt 10000k Ushio with 2 actinics, 9" off the water surface of a 54 gallon; runaway growth of euphyllia species, doubles every few months [kalk and fed with ground krill], happy Duncan.

waranwill
10/01/2011, 07:37 AM
5-6 years ago HQI was king and everything flourished, T5 was were LED is now. the lighting scene has flipped, most everything I read says HQI is too much for LPS. Just needed some feedback before I plan my purchases.

As usual I will find a small frag of something I want, place it carefully and watch it for a while and make sure everything is good before I add a big expensive chunk.

Thanks for the replies

Cubbies
10/01/2011, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't do Halides over an LPS tank myself. YES they are amazing for growth but you run the risk of bleaching things out or loosing alot of the beautiful color LPS has to offer. I've seen plenty of tanks personally to speak of this. If I was you I would consider a 6 or maybe at the most a 8 bulb T5 fixture. Not even LEDs would do justice for color on them. I run 3 LPS dominated tanks and would not change my T5s for anything in the world.

Zuska
10/02/2011, 09:12 AM
whats better over a 60g 24in on all sides? 4 bulb or 6 bulb t5? the 4 bulb has about 96w on it?

crzytrace
10/02/2011, 02:42 PM
I have 2 250w 14k phoenix over my 55g lps dominated and they love it! My hammer and frogspawn have quadrupled in a year, and my frogspawn is at the very top of my tank. Both goni's are growing well up near the top,a purple and a red, and the purple is hosting a pair of ocellaris clowns. My hammer grew so much that it tipped the rock it was glued to over and fragged itself into 3 nice size colonies, about 8-10 heads each. Duncans are growing like mad near the bottom too! It did take a few weeks to acclimate them to stronger light (I had T5HO on a 39g before upgrade), but they all seem to love it now:)