PDA

View Full Version : Apex Firmware updater for MacOS

wwanthony
09/29/2011, 02:51 PM
Has everyone checked out the new firmware updater for MacOS posted on the Neptune site. Wow.....

Nice new GUI. Ability to update both firmware and web pages via WIFI. Built in Help for newbies. Creates the ARP entries on the fly.

Sweet....

bwiele
09/29/2011, 03:53 PM
Has this gone up in the last 2 weeks? The last time I tried to update the firmware with my Mac (probably 3 weeks ago) I gave up out of frustration and went back to the PC laptop we keep around just for things like this. I sure would love to just use the Mac.

wwanthony
09/29/2011, 04:01 PM
I check the site every other day. I noticed this afternoon that the firmware version of the Mac installer was finally updated to match the PC version

Downloaded it and took a looksey and was pleasantly surprised.

I would bet it was posted today........

kenargo
09/29/2011, 05:00 PM
Has everyone checked out the new firmware updater for MacOS posted on the Neptune site. Wow.....

Nice new GUI. Ability to update both firmware and web pages via WIFI. Built in Help for newbies. Creates the ARP entries on the fly.

Sweet....

Be cautious; it can only update via WIFI once you update the Boot Loader; the PC uploader can do this as well but you MUST update the firmware and Boot Loader (the boot loader is updated via the Setup menu from the display).

RussM
09/29/2011, 05:07 PM
Curt hit a home run with this... very nicely done! It worked perfectly the first time... on the same MacBook that I could never get the beta mono-based updater to work on.

bazineta
09/29/2011, 05:31 PM
As Ken has indicated, it's important to be cautious with update over WiFi. Consumer-level wireless bridges, such as gaming adapters, are inexpensive for a reason, and as a result it's very easy to get into an unpleasant situation when performing a firmware update with such a device in the path.

The safe and recommended approach is to always use a wired connection for the firmware update; to do otherwise is to roll the dice -- you might be lucky, you might not.

kenargo
09/29/2011, 05:34 PM
One other thing; ARP is no longer needed with the new boot loader (only the old); that is the change that allowed wireless update and with the new boot loader the uploader gets the boot loader version and does as appropriate for the boot loader version.

Browse for Apex (another new feature in the uploaders) also requires the new boot loader as does the offline network configuration option in the new version of the uploaders.

Hint: Update your boot loaders!

wwanthony
09/29/2011, 05:42 PM
Be cautious; it can only update via WIFI once you update the Boot Loader; the PC uploader can do this as well but you MUST update the firmware and Boot Loader (the boot loader is updated via the Setup menu from the display).

Be cautious? No comprendo amigo. I always forge ahead for the fun of it. I have no problem initing and installing from stratch if I have to.

KEEP YOUR PROGRAM BACKUP'ED PEOPLE..........

I was running 411.8A.. So I must have been up to date enough for it to work. If not, then I am charmed.

Good work Ken. It is nice to not have to boot my Macbook Pro into XP simply to install a new beta. It is also nice to not have to sit underneath the cabinet to plug it into the Airport.

More features please.......

wwanthony
09/29/2011, 05:52 PM
As Ken has indicated, it's important to be cautious with update over WiFi. Consumer-level wireless bridges, such as gaming adapters, are inexpensive for a reason, and as a result it's very easy to get into an unpleasant situation when performing a firmware update with such a device in the path.

The safe and recommended approach is to always use a wired connection for the firmware update; to do otherwise is to roll the dice -- you might be lucky, you might not.

This makes sense and is good advice.

My wireless adapter is an Airport Extreme.....

wwanthony
09/29/2011, 05:58 PM

Ken.

Did you update the release notes to make it clear to folks that this is the case? Did you specify a minimum software level? I did not read the docs. Given that this was posted on the Neptune site as non-beta software I would assume you have. If not........

RussM
09/29/2011, 06:09 PM
For everyone's convenience, here is the thread about updating the bootloader.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069202

bwiele
09/29/2011, 08:44 PM
I am really excited about this updated Mac application. Downloaded it to my Mac, updated my Bootloader per the instructions above. All is well.

Just to confirm: assuming all the above worked, is it still recommended to hardwire the controller to the router when doing a firmware update? If yes, I'm assuming the new GUI will recognize the controller in it's wired form and will update correctly? Please confirm...

Great job to anyone and everyone involved in getting this new updater put together. I truly was just telling my wife 30 minutes ago what a marvel of technology I think the Apex is, and all this happened SINCE THEN!

Brian

bwiele
09/29/2011, 08:45 PM
Duplicate post.

wwanthony
09/29/2011, 09:08 PM
For everyone's convenience, here is the thread about updating the bootloader.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069202

Interesting. I never did this and things worked without a hitch.

I did reinit and restore my programming from stratch about a week ago. I was running 411.8A.. when I re-initialized. Maybe that updated the boot loader????

dlp211
09/29/2011, 09:17 PM
I think I just bricked my Apex. I have blinking amber lights on both my EB8 and my Apex unit.

RussM
09/29/2011, 10:25 PM
Anyone notice that there is now an automatic check for new firmware? :celeb1:

mab349
09/29/2011, 10:53 PM
Anyone notice that there is now an automatic check for new firmware? :celeb1:

Awesome! I like this new program. It's very slick and has a great icon too.