PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer

DanePaws
09/29/2011, 07:52 PM
I'm in the process of a tank build and was wondering what you all thought about using a uv sterilizer on my seahorse/pipefish tank. Thanks in advance for all the info!

rayjay
09/29/2011, 08:20 PM
You will get varying opinions on that but IMO, it's not worth hooking up UV because only pathogens going through the unit are going to be killed off (assuming correct flow) and those not going through will continue to propagate so you won't decimate the populations.
Also, if you like zooplankton to feed corals if you put any in the tank, then you will kill of the beneficial zooplankton.
Last comment is about your remark "seahorse/pipefish tank".
This combination is not very successful in the seahorse hobby, possibly because almost all the pipefish are wild caught and introduce pathogens that can wipe out the seahorses.
I wouldn't put anything in the tank except one species of seahorse all from the same breeding source, at least for a year until you are sure you have a handle on things.
The great majority of seahorses sold today don't make it a year before they die. (for a variety of reasons)

Mo2
09/30/2011, 09:21 AM
I run a UV on my tank and especially during summer. I personally feel that if you can keep your tank under or close to 70 degrees year round its not really needed. However, if not, it will help keep some protozoans in check. It won't wipe out the bacteria completely, but keep them closer to safer levels. So as long as the seahorses are healthy there shouldn't be any problems. One thing that many seahorse owners are using recently are probiotics. I got mine from seahorsesource. Look them up. Great company to work with, and they have their own captive raised horses as well.

Pipefish and seahorses don't really mix but they can. I would deworm the pipefish tho....

DanePaws
09/30/2011, 10:13 AM
I definitely appreciate your opinions and thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear others opinions too. Thanks again!

namxas
09/30/2011, 02:40 PM
The bottom line with UV is the target critters MUST be waterborne, so any of the benthic/demersal baddies won't be affected at all. I used to run one, but it's now sitting with my aquarium stuff. I prefer running a chiller that will indeed keep the bacterial count down rather than a "there might be some cilliates in the water" way of thinking.

JMHO, JME