PDA

View Full Version : Apex blinking Amber

dlp211
09/29/2011, 10:25 PM
So, I tried to update my firmware today from my Macbook Air and the installation failed and now the EB8 and Apex status lights are blinking amber.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this outside of contacting Curt?

RussM
09/29/2011, 10:49 PM
I haven't experimented enough yet with the new Mac/OS Apex Flash utility to be able to help with recovering from a failed update with the Mac.

Do you have a Windows machine available? If so... Download the Windows version of the updater. There's a recovery procedure starting on page 106 of the Unofficial New User Guide.... we know that works well in most cases. If the Apex is connected to the router via a wireless adapter, be sure to hard-wire it to the router, since we don't know what bootloader is currently on your Apex.

dlp211
09/29/2011, 11:19 PM
I had to go dig out my old laptop, but it wound up working. Thanks a ton. I would have been reading that guide for days trying to figure out what I should have done.

RussM
09/29/2011, 11:24 PM
:bounce3:

Now, if you are feeling adventurous, go through the process to update the bootloader (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069202), then try the Mac updater again. If you brick it again, you can just do the recovery you just did.

dlp211
09/30/2011, 07:37 PM
I updated the bootloader, well I think I did, and the Mac just bricked it again. I was able to recover it again.

I don't know why it doesn't want to work, I have done so many firmware updates over WiFi. Oh well, no biggie.

bwiele
09/30/2011, 09:48 PM
Is this problem avoidable if updating with the Mac but wired to the router instead of wireless? I love the new Mac application, downloaded it yesterday, but haven't used it for an update because I'm already updated. I updated the bootloader too.

RussM
09/30/2011, 10:20 PM
Is this problem avoidable if updating with the Mac but wired to the router instead of wireless? I love the new Mac application, downloaded it yesterday, but haven't used it for an update because I'm already updated. I updated the bootloader too.The issue is when the Apex is connected to the router wirelessly using a wireless adapter. It's fine in most cases to have the computer wireless... I do it all the time.