PDA

View Full Version : Storing ym tanks in my attic? Will heat ruin the silicon?

monopolybag
09/30/2011, 10:10 AM
I want to store a few aquariums I have in my attic. I was wondering if the heat during summer months would ruin the silicon? Will the cold in the winter ruin the silicon? I live in New England and it gets below freezing in my attic and get to sometimes 90-100 degrees in the summer on really hot days.

Would these temperature changes be bad and degrade the silicon?

BrianOKC
09/30/2011, 05:20 PM
Well leaving a tank outside to the elements for very long will. So I'm not sure if its the sun or the heat and cold that does it.

musarra
10/01/2011, 03:45 PM
IME just the passage of time without water will ruin the silicon

Hagisan
10/01/2011, 04:18 PM
IME just the passage of time without water will ruin the silicon
I concur.

I recently pulled an old terrarium from the attic and the silicone was toast. After removing the frame, I was able to separate the glass very easily by hand. It reminded me of that postal adhesive used on folding cardboard mailers.

monopolybag
10/02/2011, 06:39 AM
Hm, very interesting. I have not ever experienced this. Maybe your silicon dried up from temperature in your attic? Cold? Or do you think if in a dry enough place the silicon will dry out?

Anyone else?

billdogg
10/02/2011, 07:36 AM
I stored my 150 (it was ~ 10 years old at the time) in my garage for about 7 years after I got married/bought new house/finished basement. I used it out there as a storage bin for garden tools & hoses. The temperatures in my garage in that time were anywhere between -20 and about +120. When I finally got the basement ready and the new stand built, I rinsed it out, leak tested in the garage for a couple days, and then hauled it down to it's new home and filled it up. It's been down there for over 3 years now and has had no problems at all.