PDA

View Full Version : Take GFO off?

Lynnmw1208
09/30/2011, 03:42 PM
I am getting concerned because my cheato is dying slowly and I kind of need it for my mandarin... I am assuming it is due to lack of nutrients in my tank since I don't have a whole lot of fish and don't feed frozen every day.

My question is should I take the GFO offline?

BigKahuna
09/30/2011, 03:52 PM
Why not throw some flakes in the refuge to feed the pods and increase the nutrients in there for the chaeto too?

Sport507
09/30/2011, 04:17 PM
I am getting concerned because my cheato is dying slowly and I kind of need it for my mandarin... I am assuming it is due to lack of nutrients in my tank since I don't have a whole lot of fish and don't feed frozen every day.

My question is should I take the GFO offline?

Here was my experience with GFO and I had a reactor. I ran it for film algae on my class and I didn’t see much improvement but for a short time. Was cleaning the glass everyday. Needless to say with all the hype I read about them I was disappointed with the results I got. I’m not saying they don’t work but for me and my system it didn’t.

Then I put on a fuge and WOW. I now clean my glass about every 4-5 days if that. I have pods galore and give my cheato a hair cut about once a week.

Lynnmw1208
09/30/2011, 05:47 PM
Here was my experience with GFO and I had a reactor. I ran it for film algae on my class and I didn’t see much improvement but for a short time. Was cleaning the glass everyday. Needless to say with all the hype I read about them I was disappointed with the results I got. I’m not saying they don’t work but for me and my system it didn’t.

Then I put on a fuge and WOW. I now clean my glass about every 4-5 days if that. I have pods galore and give my cheato a hair cut about once a week.

exactly my thoughts. Thanks for validating this! I feel like the GFO isn't doing much at all!! any other thoughts?

jimmy frag
09/30/2011, 06:02 PM
GFO works great for excesive phosphates but can quickly be exhausted

bertoni
09/30/2011, 06:18 PM
I might consider dialing back the amount of GFO slowly, and watching for signs of trouble. A quick surge of phosphate might cause problems.

neoalchemist74
09/30/2011, 07:04 PM
I might consider dialing back the amount of GFO slowly, and watching for signs of trouble. A quick surge of phosphate might cause problems.

Big +1 on this, It only takes a couple of days for bryopsis or something similar to take hold. Or prized corals to start browning. on the other hand it could take months to fix those problems.