PDA

View Full Version : Anthias for a 120gallon

ToLearn
09/30/2011, 05:52 PM
What would be the perfect group of anthias for a 4' 120gallon stony tank? This is a low nutrient system with currently 0 fish in it I want to start stocking and figured it would be best to start with a peaceful group of anthias.

Dispar Anthias?
Sunset Anthias?

I want something bright and colorful. I'm not afraid of spending some money on the group, but would rather not buy an animal that would prefer a dimly lit tank as this aquarium is far from it and I would rather them not hide in the dark areas all the time.

NastayNatron
09/30/2011, 06:04 PM
I have 3 Barletts Anthias in my 125g and they are out and about all day swimming in the open water. I have 1000 watts of metal halides plus T5's over the tank and they don't seem to mind at all. Plus the pink and yellow colors are awesome!

snorvich
09/30/2011, 06:37 PM
Carberryi.

brannock_16
09/30/2011, 07:00 PM
Bartletts are very nice. They are open swimmers and have very nice color. I also have 3 Lyretails in my tank that add a nice splash of orange (one is currently undergoing the change to a male so no purple coloring yet).

luv951
09/30/2011, 07:37 PM
can anthias of different species be in the same tank?

brannock_16
09/30/2011, 07:50 PM
can anthias of different species be in the same tank?

Depends on the species and their respective aggression...but they sure can.

I currently have 3 Lyretails and 2 Bartletts (I originally had 4 but about 3 months ago when I was killing aiptasia with kalk paste 2 of them decided to eat the kalk paste floating around and promptly died).

aandfsoccr04
09/30/2011, 08:30 PM
What's the difference between the bartlett's and the carberryi? Anyone that has owned both of them want to speak to which one they would prefer? How many would you suggest getting for a 120? 3 or 4?

jcw
09/30/2011, 08:44 PM
Maldives Lyretails retained the most color of my resplendent, ignitus and lyretails.

Ignitus a close second. I plan to add 3 more ignitus anthias.

Lyretails were more aggressive of the three.

There are Lori anthias on LA that I seriously considered adding, but decided against at the last second.

This is my own observation and may be right or wrong but if you don't feed them their vitamins, they can lose their color.

Here they are in QT
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd94/jcwk12r/fishtank/P1050270-1.jpg

Here they are in DT after about 7 months. Two drops of an infant multivitamin in their food once a day.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd94/jcwk12r/fishtank/anthias1-2.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd94/jcwk12r/fishtank/anthias1-1.jpg

jamesbaur13
09/30/2011, 08:50 PM
Resplendents are another nice one to look into.

I have Bartlett's and Resplendents.

Both have similar coloration. The Bartlett's have a more subdued pink, while the Resplendents are more of a hot pink.

As for personality, the Bartlett's seem more fidgety, while my Resplendents seem more laid back.

billwill
09/30/2011, 11:30 PM
I've got three Bartletts and three Dispar in my 90, along with several tangs and blenny's. The Bartletts were there first, and are larger than the Dispar. the Dispar's hide in the rocks too much, mostly due to the bigger Bartletts is my guess. At that size tank, I think seven or eight Bartletts would be fantastic! They are very beautiful and hardy as well. Throw a Midas Blenny in there for extra personality and beauty too.

bif24701
10/01/2011, 12:44 AM
Mine, love them, only have three would like 6 or more.http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/Aaron_Wasson/SU1BRzA1NDAuanBn.jpg

LinkinReef
10/01/2011, 01:32 AM
I have 3 Maldives Lyretails, one male and 2 females. Honestly I kind of regret adding them because the male is VERY aggressive and chases any other fish that's not a tang, especially my midas blenny. I'm considering taking him out and put him in a "time out tank" or something...

That being said, they have some nice colors. I'm looking to add 3 or more either dispar, resplendent or carberryi. The last one also being kind of semi-aggressive