PDA

View Full Version : Tangs in 180g?

NckHtn
10/01/2011, 12:05 AM
I am planning a 180-210g reef setup.

I saw the top thread about tangs and was wondering how many could be kept in a tank this size? I definitely would like to have a yellow and powder blue tang. Is that already pushing the limits?

nonstopfishies
10/01/2011, 02:05 AM
2 is definitely not pushing the limits and would be a safe way to go. I would say you could push it all the way to 4, but some may say even more than that.

Reefing Newbie
10/01/2011, 10:19 AM
I would put no more than 3 in a 180 and no more than 4 in a 210. That is just me, you want to give the tangs as much room as possible.

TruespeedEM1
10/01/2011, 10:24 AM
do you have a full stocking list? or are you basing that off of the tangs you decide on?

wencels
10/01/2011, 12:40 PM
It really depends on what type of tang you're talking about. I would personally say that if you have a Naso and a Yellow in a 180 it would be good as they get pretty big when mature. On the other hand, you might get away with more tangs if they are a smaller type and you have a 210. Every fish is different and you might get away with more and not have problems. I guess that would be for you to judge when you get to the point of possibly adding more.

aleonn
10/01/2011, 05:05 PM
I've got naso, blue, yellow, and Kole tangs in my 180 (6x2x2) tank. They're all medium-sized without issues so far. They're all different colors/shapes/species to minimize fighting, with plenty of live rock for hiding spaces, and adequate skimming/filtration. I can imagine fitting another small or medium-sized tang in my tank if I really wanted to push it, but 4 is pretty much maxed out in terms of space IMO (even though the Kole tang won't get too large).

snorvich
10/01/2011, 06:43 PM
So what are you going to do when your tang reaches 18 inches in your six foot tank?

SDguy
10/01/2011, 07:03 PM
I'd stay away from larger tangs like nasos if for no other reason than they make your tank look small :)

In a 6' 180g, I think you could get 3 easily... maybe one zebrasoma, one acanthurus, and one bristle tooth? Also, consider other options for largish fish besides tangs. Various angels, butterflies can work in reefs.

wencels
10/01/2011, 08:31 PM
So what are you going to do when your tang reaches 18 inches in your six foot tank?

That's the thing. The Naso will get that long and I've seen yellows close to that. Added to that a Blue that will get to around a foot long and you have a lot of mass in a small area. Just my two cents though.

nonstopfishies
10/01/2011, 10:52 PM
That's the thing. The Naso will get that long and I've seen yellows close to that. Added to that a Blue that will get to around a foot long and you have a lot of mass in a small area. Just my two cents though.

You've seen a yellow tang that was a foot and a half long!?!? Considering the max length in the wild is 8 inches that would be an impressive feat.

I have never seen one bigger than 6 inches or so in a tank. If you buy it small it will never grow bigger than that.

wencels
10/02/2011, 07:09 AM
No I haven't seen one that is a foot and a half long. Sorry that was an exageration (up late, lots of wine). I have seen one that was over a foot long once (or at least I thought it was at the time) and that was what I was referencing to.