PDA

View Full Version : lps like dirty water?

m1nh0h
10/01/2011, 01:28 AM
i've read and heard from people that hammer corals like dirty water does that mean its good to have some nitrates in your water?

also are purple tipped hammer corals rare?

dvd3
10/01/2011, 04:56 AM
You probably shouldn’t go for dirty water unless you are absolutely sure it has a positive effect on the species you are going for and are confident you can keep it stable on the ‘dirty values’ .
It’s not because a coral is hardy and does ok in dirty water that it wouldn’t have thrived in better waters. Besides, you will notice a bigger difference with good/bad lighting and water movement than with slightly elevated nitrates.
My personal experience with euphyllias (except glabrescens) is that they survive much abuse and are very adaptable but they remain stony corals and you should aim for perfect water values.

crzytrace
10/02/2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with dvd3. My reef has undetectable nitrates and phosphates, and my hammer and frogspawn grow like mad! I also have 2 250w mh over a 55g. They let me know when I need to do a pwc or if my alk levels drop too low by not looking their best..

firsttank
10/03/2011, 12:25 PM
I am not sure if dirty water would be appropriate. They like some nutrients in the water. I had my reef at 15ppm nitrate and 0.06 po4 and things looked good. I have gone to 0 nitrate and 0.05phosphate and things still look good. I have started feeding a lil heavy as LPS love to be fed.
I hope it helps:)

snorvich
10/03/2011, 01:30 PM
You probably shouldn’t go for dirty water unless you are absolutely sure it has a positive effect on the species you are going for and are confident you can keep it stable on the ‘dirty values’ .
It’s not because a coral is hardy and does ok in dirty water that it wouldn’t have thrived in better waters. Besides, you will notice a bigger difference with good/bad lighting and water movement than with slightly elevated nitrates.
My personal experience with euphyllias (except glabrescens) is that they survive much abuse and are very adaptable but they remain stony corals and you should aim for perfect water values.

+1 Remember LPS like to be fed.

bamf25
10/03/2011, 03:37 PM
My littel brain coral sent out much longer sweepers the day I gave the DT a good wipe down for algae. So you could say the water was "dirty" because of the stuff I knocked lose in the cleaning process. So dirty meaning particulate in the water, yes. Not "dirty" meaning parameters are off.

sponger0
10/03/2011, 05:01 PM
I have a tank that is pretty much clean...and have euphilia corals (torch, frogspawn, hammer) and SPS doing good. My euphilias are large and happy. So Im not totally convinced they like a dirtier tank as opposed to clean

m1nh0h
10/04/2011, 12:53 AM
its not so much that hammer corals prefer dirty water, but i've heard people say " i cant keep hammer corals in my tank because my water is too clean" haha im not sure exactly what that means

snorvich
10/04/2011, 02:07 PM
its not so much that hammer corals prefer dirty water, but i've heard people say " i cant keep hammer corals in my tank because my water is too clean" haha im not sure exactly what that means

It may mean that the water is so clear they are getting too much light.

Hyro
10/07/2011, 01:44 PM
just like anything it's all about consistency. just because the lps group is 'hardy' doesn't mean they like the dirty water, just tolerate it, and if it isn't fluctuating with poor husbandry, the stuff will live.