PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting over

bkvreef
10/01/2011, 07:18 AM
Ok I have been w/o a tank for about a year and a half.
I tried to start back up a year ago and the tank leaked.
So now before I get back in here's what I need:
I am looking at a tank somewhere around 4'x2'x2',* reef.
Price is an issue but I am in no hurry, so I can save up for quality equipment.* But (although mp's are nice they are not an option) don't start recommending bubble blasters and other over the top ideas.

What equipment would you recommend?

wencels
10/01/2011, 08:23 AM
I was kind of looking at the same thing. I think I may be going for a 150g. 4 x 2 x 31". I still have a lot of my equipment from before except the big things such as tank, skimmer, lights, and water movement. I kind of figured that I could get away with about $3000 including an MP60. I was looking at either a Skimz skimmer or a Vertex.

moondoggy4
10/01/2011, 12:24 PM
I would definitely look into the used forums. You could buy a used Euro Reef skimmer do have have over 30'' in height there is a great barely used ER for sale at a great price. Vertex is another great option get a Gen 3 and if the pump goes out you could upgrade to a ATB pump.

bkvreef
10/01/2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks!
I guess I'm looking for recommendations, such as powerheads: koralia best price, etc.
Having been in the hobby for several years prior to my break I was wondering if there were any new items that were great purchases.

wildman926
10/01/2011, 03:48 PM
don't start recommending bubble blasters and other over the top ideas.

What equipment would you recommend?

You consider skimmers with these pumps over the top in price? The pump is the heart of a skimmer. These pumps/skimmers are mid priced considering what other high end "over the top" skimmers go for. In this hobby, it ends up costing you more in the long run by cheaping out at first.

SRO 2000

bkvreef
10/01/2011, 04:07 PM
Sorry!!!:hmm5:
I meant to say: "don't recommend bubble king", not bubble blaster.
Thanks for the correction wildman