PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Reef System - Automatic Water Changes

bluebastion
10/01/2011, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone, :wave:

I just started a new build after being on a hiatus from the hobby for about 2-3 years. I found the Genesis Reef Systems water changing and auto top off systems while sifting through build ideas. I noticed there has not been a video posted on youtube yet and thought someone who might be on the fence or curious about this system might enjoy seeing one.

So here's my first ever attempt at posting a "review" (more an overview) video:

Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLrHdmljh6s&feature=channel_video_title

Part II
In process on youtube (may not show up just yet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurJabvn5b0

Part III (In action)
Working on editing- but I have run this system for the first time today (10/1/11) and it is impressive!

Hope this helps someone! :bounce2:

bluebastion
10/02/2011, 11:49 AM
Part III - First water change!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxm8ymbWvzU&src_vid=FurJabvn5b0&annotation_id=annotation_280294&feature=iv

Paradiddle7
11/09/2011, 02:26 PM
Great videos. How's the system doing, have you had any problems with it?

bluebastion
11/09/2011, 05:07 PM
So far so good! No spills on my wooden floors... no buckets to worry about! :) The biggest maintenance now is just cleaning the glass, emptying the skimmer cup, and changing out the filter socks.

ZR1001
11/10/2011, 11:02 AM
Nice system!

Paradiddle7
11/10/2011, 11:59 AM
Do you find that your saltwater reservoirs's density creeps up at all over time? I'm assuming the lid prevents most evaporation.

rjmayes34
11/10/2011, 12:11 PM
watching the video now, how much did the set up cost you? Looks like its great!!! As long as you have the room for it!
Just make sure your heater is not on and out of the water for to long! maybe put it in you skimmer section or something

96p993
11/10/2011, 01:38 PM
This is a cool system but my concern is keeping the water cool during the summer. Im in Texas and dont think keeping the water warm would be an issue but cooling it would be tough (or expensive)...How important is the temp of the water when just changing a gallon a day? If I had a 55 gallon barrel supplying water would air temps in the 100's outside cause problems?

bluebastion
11/10/2011, 05:17 PM
delete.. oops

bluebastion
11/10/2011, 05:18 PM
delete oops

bluebastion
11/10/2011, 05:19 PM
Nice system!

Thanks! I wanted a new setup that minimized maintenance.. this helps A TON!

bluebastion
11/10/2011, 05:21 PM
Do you find that your saltwater reservoirs's density creeps up at all over time? I'm assuming the lid prevents most evaporation.

Most water stays in the reservoir. I have cutouts in the lid for required fittings and wires... however open holes are kept to a minimum. I check out the water every once in awhile.. so far no issues.

bluebastion
11/10/2011, 05:26 PM
watching the video now, how much did the set up cost you? Looks like its great!!! As long as you have the room for it!
Just make sure your heater is not on and out of the water for to long! maybe put it in you skimmer section or something

Genesis Reef Systems is a sponsor here on this site. I'll try to post the link but not sure if it will show up on this post:

www.genesisreefsystems.com

Kevin is a joy to do business with.

Thanks for the tip! The heater is not out of the water that long and it's actually not out that much even when it is... a little more than what I'd like but I don't have another choice to be honest. The heater length is longer than the dimensions of all the compartments in length.

bluebastion
11/10/2011, 05:32 PM
This is a cool system but my concern is keeping the water cool during the summer. Im in Texas and dont think keeping the water warm would be an issue but cooling it would be tough (or expensive)...How important is the temp of the water when just changing a gallon a day? If I had a 55 gallon barrel supplying water would air temps in the 100's outside cause problems?

My setup is in the garage which has all but one wall insulated from the outside.... (I find this absolutely retarded)... I am in South Carolina and in no way a stranger to heat... we can hit the high 90's very easily in the summer.. and actually this system was setup during the hottest months of the year. I can say no issues... the tank stayed steady at ~79-80 where I'd expect it. Even if there is a reasonable difference between water change water and the tank water, I would venture to guess it should be no issue depending on how many gallons you are changing at the time. On top of that, the system only changes water in 1 gallon increments, with "stand by" times in between. Unless you're doing a large percentage water change compared with your tank, I don't think you would have reason for worry.