10/02/2011, 06:42 AM
about?

gobies of course

Dino
10/02/2011, 07:05 AM
:lol:

kripas
10/02/2011, 01:01 PM
Your the one who keep insisting you want a tang on your 55 gallon tank and you got flamed by reefers.I hope you dint get one, police will be knocking on your door.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069909

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers

RealReef7
10/02/2011, 03:40 PM
yellow tangs are yellow, prone to ich, did i mention they love nori?

jamesyoung_31
10/02/2011, 03:48 PM
Yes picked one up and is in the 55. Doing excellent with lots of swimming room(2.5 inches). Will upgrade down the road, hopefully getting a 130 next year sometime. Thanks

Dino
10/02/2011, 04:10 PM
Your the one who keep insisting you want a tang on your 55 gallon tank and you got flamed by reefers.I hope you dint get one, police will be knocking on your door.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069909

Thanks for that link Kripas. :)

Yes picked one up and is in the 55. Doing excellent with lots of swimming room(2.5 inches). Will upgrade down the road, hopefully getting a 130 next year sometime. Thanks

So your reason for starting this thread is what again? :confused: To brag that you ignored all the advice you were given previously and put a tang in your 55 gallon that if I understand right you only set up two weeks ago?

:( I predict a lot of failure in your future unless you learn to:

1. Slow waaaaaaaay down.
2. Do a LOT more reading.
3. Listen to the advice given by much more experience reefers instead of fishing for the answer you want to hear.

agreeive?fish
10/02/2011, 04:32 PM
my yellow tang and regal angel are swimming buddies

olemiss reb
10/02/2011, 05:07 PM
This was posted on one of my local forums. While not a yellow tang, this is the result of keeping a tang in an undersized tank, if it lives this long.

This guy was rescued from a 90.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h333/dunning3075/IMAG0555.jpg

FishAddict87
10/02/2011, 05:33 PM
Wow so sad.....reef central has taught me a lot with appropriate fish for appropriate sized tanks which made me give my new lfs my clown tang and Niger trigger. First lfs who sold them to me said it would be fine. They were happy looking and in my 55 for 6 months nd grew a lot surprisingly but I knew deep inside that these beautiful fish needed a larger home to truly be happy. Giving them up was the worse part because my tank seemed lifeless. But I'm very happy to know my new lfs sold them to an owner who has a very large tank to accommodate their needs. As I learned from this forum, we are taking these fish from their natural habitat and pitting them into glass boxes. The ocean and a glass box is a huge difference. I stopped going to the first lfs btw. Hope u enjoyed my touching story lol =)

wencels
10/02/2011, 05:44 PM
I'm glad that you listened to advice that others gave you. It's kind of sad that people have a thought process that it will never happen to them. Kind of like me when I was a teenager, I thought I'd never feel sore getting up in the morning. Then I got older.
Good for you!!

FishAddict87
10/02/2011, 06:11 PM
I was just curious and was going to start a new thread but figured this might be a good place to ask this question...if the tank size for Tangs sticky says some tNgs can be kept in a 75 gallon 4 ft tank then y wouldn't those saMe Tangs work in a 55? I don't intend on putting a tang in my tank but just curious because everyone says no for a tang to go into a 4 ft tank but the sticky says different.

seafd
10/02/2011, 06:33 PM
room to turn around in a 55 gal tank is pretty small (~12") in comparison to the wider 75 (~18"). That's really the only difference (and I'd be willing to bet the author of the sticky didn't intend for large tangs (growing greater than 7") to be housed in a 75).

kripas
10/02/2011, 09:22 PM

So sad to hear that, your tank is so small and your tang will stress out and will die soon or later. Your tank was just setup few weeks ago.Did I mention if tang stress out there prone to ich?your tank will be ich festival. Wish you luck

Daniel Reef
10/02/2011, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear that the OP purchased a yellow tang after having been told in another forum that his 55g tank should not house a tang. The sticky thread about tangs states that a yellow tang should have a minimum tank of 100 gallons. I guess the OP continues to disregard advice given to him. Hopefully, he will be honest enough to let RC reader know how the tang is doing and if something ends up happening to the tang or the rest of his fish should it get ich.

sandwi54
10/02/2011, 11:41 PM
it's truly sad to know that the OP disregards the advice he received and comes here to show that he has the guts to do that. what's the point of that? you don't know us and we don't know you. we are all behind the computers and all we want to do is helping other people do the right thing. bragging online about doing the wrong thing only makes you look immature and childish.

the problem with keeping fish in a tank too size is that it's usually a long-term effect and not something immediately. it may take years for the fish to stress to a point of dying of "unknown" reasons. the keeper may never know why the fish dies and just attributes it to diseases.

sometimes i wish prices for fish could be higher so there won't be all these people buying inexpensive fish only to kill them. if a yellow tang costs $200 instead of $30, i think most people would make sure they have the right setup/equipment for the fish.

jamesyoung_31
10/03/2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the comments but he's only a little guy and swimming around and checking things out. Eating seaweed and mysis shrimp, hopefully pellets soon. I understand what you're saying but I think it's a little foolish none the less. My wife and I discussed things last night and we are going to get a 130 for Xmas. Thanks

Just wanted to mention that RC has been the reason for this upgrade.

Dino
10/03/2011, 08:23 AM
:( Sigh...

:headwally:

*Dino wishes people would stock for what is appropriate for their current tank. Not for some future tank that in many cases never happens.

jamesyoung_31
10/03/2011, 08:57 AM
Not referring to me ofcourse.

Toddrtrex
10/03/2011, 09:09 AM
:( Sigh...

:headwally:

*Dino wishes people would stock for what is appropriate for their current tank. Not for some future tank that in many cases never happens.

I was suppose to have my "big" tank 5 years ago, still waiting.

jamesyoung_31
10/03/2011, 09:12 AM
Argumentative.Will not take part. Thanks. 5 years that's brutal.

SkullV
10/03/2011, 09:15 AM
Bottom line is there are PLENTY of tangs in tanks that are too small for them, there are plenty of people who are "successful" in doing it (including some of the "big names" here on RC), but that depends on your idea of success.

What is important is that you do NOT make threads like this bragging about keeping a tang (or any fish) in a tank that is too small for it. If you are going to do it anyway just do it, but egging people on by talking about it is unnecessary.

This was posted on one of my local forums. While not a yellow tang, this is the result of keeping a tang in an undersized tank, if it lives this long.

This guy was rescued from a 90.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h333/dunning3075/IMAG0555.jpg

It's pretty unreasonable to directly attribute the damage to that tang to a tank that is too small for it. How would you prove that it was the cause as opposed to any other reason.

BowieReefer84
10/03/2011, 09:17 AM
I wish I knew about reefcentral when I first started the hobby and put a yellow tang in a 29gal tank. Guess what? It died. Since then I have researched, and now I have a properly stocked successful tank. Still 29 gallons... Upgrades are not guaranteed, and should NOT be used as an excuse to get what you do not have the means to take care of.

It's too bad you are to closeminded to not take the correct advice given to you.

ibtl.

jamesyoung_31
10/03/2011, 09:23 AM
Well I said me and my wife are getting a bigger tank for xmas-why no say great decision instead of what was said after. Hope the people that "know" tell their "bad" local fish stores what they are doing wrong instead of shake their heads and walk away. Because that is the height of contradiction wouldn't you agree?

Amoore311
10/03/2011, 09:38 AM
why no say great decision instead of what was said after

I'll be the first to say "great decision" when I see the fish is actually in a tank of appropriate size.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said, "I'm planning on an upgrade in the future"..... only to be never heard from again....... I'd be a millionaire.

amnbowser
10/03/2011, 09:59 AM
No Kidding

sponger0
10/03/2011, 10:00 AM
The fact is you went against everyone's advice. You also cycled a tank with fish, which Im very much against. But your trying to justify your reasoning for going against years of advice from experienced reefers by say I plan on upgrading my tank. But fact is you can plan but it doesnt mean its going to happen. Ive planned on have my 75 up in July but due to some pitfalls its has been pushed back. Life happens and happens fast. Things side track your future plans and you have to hold out. Your tang may not be able to hold out in your tank.

I would ony say "great" to you once the bigger tank is up and running and cycled without using fish

Dino
10/03/2011, 10:38 AM
Well I said me and my wife are getting a bigger tank for xmas-why no say great decision instead of what was said after.

I'm confused, you just setup a very new tank (that in all likelihood probably has not completed cycling yet), you completely ignored the excellent advice given to you by several people telling you not to add a tang, and now you're wondering why nobody is giving you a pat on the back and a "great decision"? :confused:

I'm not purposely trying to be harsh here, if you actually DO get a bigger, more appropriate sized tank for your livestock wishes in the near future, GREAT! Glad to hear it. However; the truth is and has already been stated, many long time members of this forum have seen plenty of new aquarists following much the same path as you are. In their newby excitement they buy a fish that totally is not appropriate for their brand new ______ gallon tank with the expectation that "when it grows I'll just buy a bigger tank..." Unfortunately this often does not happen, life gets in the way, big tank plans gets delayed to some unknown future date, and that newby finds out that often times rehoming a fish is next to impossible.

BowieReefer84
10/03/2011, 10:48 AM
I think this post is in the wrong forum. Perhaps "New to Hobby" or "Responsible Reefkeeping" would be more appropriate?

cadre
10/03/2011, 11:01 AM
Well I said me and my wife are getting a bigger tank for xmas-why no say great decision instead of what was said after. Hope the people that "know" tell their "bad" local fish stores what they are doing wrong instead of shake their heads and walk away. Because that is the height of contradiction wouldn't you agree?
I would fire someone at my store if they told a customer it was okay to put a tang in anything less than a 75g.

We obviously aren't going to convince you to take the fish out of your tank or to do anything any differently. I think this thread should be locked though. Some other new reefer is going to come across it and use it to justify doing the exact same thing.

kripas
10/03/2011, 11:14 AM
Did you know if you upgrade from 55 to 135, means you have to start all over? New tank, new sump, new,skimmer, add more rocks, more sand, big heater, more circulation pump, bigger lightning means more $$$$. If you really want a tang , why you dint get a bigger tank in the first place?I bet you wont get a bigger tank this xmas.Shoot I want 200 gallon and been planning it for 5 years but I need to upgrade everything. Just cant wait for ich festival in your new tank.

wencels
10/03/2011, 11:53 AM

I have personally discussed this (sometimes more agressively than others) with staff at big box retailers in my area that sell fish to people who don't have the right equipment to care for them. Some of my friends have as well. Usually what ends up happening is that I am told to "butt out" and the person buys what they were intending to buy.

I think the thing that is causing concern for those here is that even after personal experience is being relayed you are deciding to go ahead anyway. Add to this the fact that you are broadcasting to everyone that you don't care about the fact that your fish will likely perish (maybe because you don't trust the advice you're getting). At least this is the way it is coming across and is probably why you're getting the responses you're getting. Please believe that everyone here has been in the same boat as you in the past and only desires that you don't have to make the same mistakes.

jamesyoung_31
10/03/2011, 12:31 PM
Did you know if you upgrade from 55 to 135, means you have to start all over? New tank, new sump, new,skimmer, add more rocks, more sand, big heater, more circulation pump, bigger lightning means more $$$$. If you really want a tang , why you dint get a bigger tank in the first place?I bet you wont get a bigger tank this xmas.Shoot I want 200 gallon and been planning it for 5 years but I need to upgrade everything. Just cant wait for ich festival in your new tank.

Actually I'm going to hit the classifieds, great place to get all you need for cheap. Will certainly not be starting from scratch. Thanks for the confidence on the ich.

BrianD
10/03/2011, 01:35 PM
Some things can't be fixed.

BrianD
10/03/2011, 01:37 PM
I can't imagine the thought process behind replacing a tank after only 4 months with a different tank. Why set the first tank up at all, and just wait until you have the tank you want/need?

In any event, there is no reason for this to continue. It makes my head hurt.