PDA

View Full Version : anemone won't stay upright

Tuton
10/02/2011, 11:26 AM
I got a new anemone and It will not attach to the rocks and endsup in caves or upsidedown in the rocks, (needless to say my clown won't host)
what should I do?
can I rubberband it like a soft coral

Rippinfrags
10/02/2011, 11:43 AM
No do not rubber band the anemone, you will most likely kill it. You will have to provide more info on your anemone and tank before anyone can help.

What type of anemone did you purchase?
How long has your tank been set up for?
What type of lighting are you using?
What are your water parameters? Salinity? Nitrates? Phosphates? Nitrite? Ammonia? Alk? Mag?calcium? Or whatever you can currently provide would be great.

milspec
10/02/2011, 12:07 PM
Upside down like on the bottom or upside down as in attached under a rock? Some anemone like to do this so they can pull back in if they need to. Just let it do what it wants to do. You can't tell it to say put, it will walk and sit where ever it likes the most. Even if it likes to sit next to a coral and sting it to death. You can however, move the coral. Anemone are a hands off animal, if you mess with them too much they will die.

BonsaiNut
10/02/2011, 12:20 PM
We can't advise you on anything unless we know what kind of anemone it is. Different anemones have different care requirements - and prefer differ places to settle.

Tuton
10/02/2011, 12:21 PM
1) It's a sebae anemone
2) Tank is 5 years old
3) x6 54 watt HO flouresent bulbs (x3 actinic, x3 10,000k)
4) salinity is 1.023
5) Nitrates are 0ppm
6) Phospates are 0ppm
7) Ammonia are 0ppm
8) alkalinity is about 300
9) Magneseium is N/A
10) calcium is about 300ppm
11) I am running about 700 gph
12) It eather goes top first into a hole or lays upside down in the sand

LesMartin
10/02/2011, 12:46 PM
Have you tried turning off your flow completely so that it gets a chance to attach ? Sold as a 'sebae' it's probably a H.crispa. Typically these are a sand anemone (although some can be found higher up in rockwork ) so place it the right way up on the sand bed in a place where you think it will get a moderate flow when the pumps are running and give it at least half an hour to try and attach. You can try and give it a helping hand by making a hole in the sand.

bradleym
10/02/2011, 04:09 PM
1) Is it white or yellow?
2) Are it's tentacles longer than it's body?

If either of these are true, it is probably bleached, and may not be attaching due to poor health.

Tuton
10/02/2011, 04:35 PM
its a yellow/green color
the tenticals are about the same length as its main body when they are fully extended

bradleym
10/02/2011, 04:43 PM
Yellow is not normal, and a light green tint is normal, but not actually being green. It sounds like it may have been bleached and dyed to make it prettier, but the process can often kill the anemone over the next few weeks. Also, the tentacles are a little short but not bad. Does it have any brown/dirty-looking sections? That may indicate recovery...

Tuton
10/02/2011, 05:57 PM
not like bright green but a slight tint
http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/388029/clown-keeper99-55-gallon-reef-tank-diary#post_3420874
go to this link for pics (my camera sucks so it is a light green)

bradleym
10/02/2011, 10:03 PM
Well, it is not healthy, but the center looks brown, so it may be recovering. It will need low flow while it tries to attach, and it won't want to be in the light for a couple days/weeks. You will need to feed it once it is attached somewhere.

Tuton
10/06/2011, 04:20 PM
I have been working with this thing and it appears to have gas stuck in its foot
I was gonna try to pop it with a sharp neadle to let it out in a last ditch effort to save it
is this a good idea or will I just nuke my tank

ReeferBill
10/06/2011, 04:29 PM
Do not stick a needle in it ! This could cause an infection and it can expand and co:sad2:ntract to Flush itself out. Provide it with good water and be patient. If it is healthy enough it will attach.

Toddrtrex
10/06/2011, 05:09 PM
4) salinity is 1.023

Any reason why this is so low? Should be 1.0256.

Tuton
10/06/2011, 07:21 PM
because the water evaporates so fast out of my tank (I need to add a half gallon of RO water every day)

Toddrtrex
10/06/2011, 07:56 PM
If that was the case, the salinity would be getting higher -- since only fresh water evaporates -- so something doesn't add up.

Plus, for a 55 gallon tank, a half gallon lost shouldn't change things that much.