PDA

View Full Version : parameters off some BAD

ak47soulja22
10/02/2011, 03:15 PM
Hello why I am posting if I have an issue I have recently have moved into a home of my own, after renting for a while. I had to move my 90gal tank that I have had for about 3-4.5 years. While I didn't have a lot of fish ( 1 purple tang) small amount of coral ( Zoas and Green star poylops). In the event of the move I made the decision to go with a barebottom with a small amount of live rock. I replaced the water that i lost in the move with fresh saltwater.
The problem in RED below. I do not dose anything yet. My fish is doing great my GSP are out and huge, zoas are open and well. I wanted to try sps again but my parameters are worrying to me. And i will be adding some pokkini or something like that off of Bulk reef supply tomorrow when it gets in. My problem is i have never seen my kh/alk be so low and my cal be high. Any ideas or tips on what i should do. and how long should i wait till i try my sps frenzy again.
I have dosing and my 2 part coming in tomorrow. Im just confused

Temperature:80
PH:8.3
Ammonia: .15
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: .05
Salinity: 1.023
dKH/KH/Alkalinity: 5.4/1.94
Magnesium:1425
Calcium: 515
Phosphate: .2
Test kits you own: all above
Liquid or Strips: liquid
Brand Name: API-Salifert
Are they Expired?: NO

Tank size? 90 mega flow
Estimated total system? 120

Reef, fish only or, freshwater? zoas, gsp, purple tang

Current inhabitants? What and how many? 1 snail
Clean up crew?

How long has your tank been set-up? 1 week after move But 3-4.5 years

Substrate. NO
Type?
Depth?

Live rock? little bit
How much? 5 pounds
Did you recently add some? No will add dry rock very soon

Filtration.
Type? overflow
Protein skimmer? octco 200
Do you wet or dry skim? dry/wet???

Lighting.
Lighting type? 2x250w MHL 4xT5
Age of bulbs? 4 days old

Feeding
What? seaweed
How much? 1 strip
How often? once a day

Do you have a ground probe? NO
What kind of flow does your tank have? 1korla 3, mp40 mag 9.5
I have a rodi system .

HighlandReefer
10/03/2011, 06:28 AM
Salinity should be between 1.024 - 1.027 for coral.

Ammonia should be a zero, it is toxic if detectable to fish. Amquel will work to reduce ammonia.

Phosphate is high, should be reduced to below 0.03 ppm. GFO works good for this.

Alk for coral should be between 7-11 dKH. You can use baking soda to raise the alk level & the Reef Calculator.

Reef chemicals calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

ghostman
10/03/2011, 06:34 AM
Agree with all the above to adjust water parameters, and would like to add:
You probably could add significantly more live rock, like 50 -100 pounds more. 5 pounds will not provide adequate biological filtration. Your description indicates you have 1 snail, more snails will assist in keeping the glass and rock clean. HTH

jayg4u
10/03/2011, 07:41 AM
Do a good water change and dose your alk

bertoni
10/03/2011, 04:52 PM
I agree with the comments on the parameters, but I'd also get second opinions on the testing equipment, and calibrate the SG device with a saltwater standard, too. I'd raise the SG over a period of a week or so to 1.0264 or so, but 1.024 likely is safe enough. Since the tank has been moved recently, I agree with dosing some Amquel to be safe. You could test some RO/DI water for ammonia. It should read zero. Some ammonia kits fail and detect ammonia in everything, so I wouldn't panic yet.

ak47soulja22
10/04/2011, 04:46 PM
OK so i started to dose ALK lastnight at 1ml per min. woke up this morning and my tank was fine about 430 i check my tank and my MP40w was broke and my tank is cloudy!! ***

EDIT and i only dosed from 1030pm to 1030 am.

ak47soulja22
10/04/2011, 04:54 PM
Help please

HighlandReefer
10/04/2011, 06:54 PM
OK so i started to dose ALK lastnight at 1ml per min. woke up this morning and my tank was fine about 430 i check my tank and my MP40w was broke and my tank is cloudy!! ***

EDIT and i only dosed from 1030pm to 1030 am.

I don't follow what you are stating. You dosed alk only or both alk and perhaps calcium. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a MP40w, a dosing pump? If so how much alk did you dose.

Sounds like the tank is cloudy from a snow storm (calcium carbonate precipitation). This usually does not cause problems unless your pH is up over 8.5. Running a filter bag will help collect the precipitants. ;)

bertoni
10/04/2011, 10:59 PM
I agree that precipitation is one likely cause of the cloudiness. 1 ml per minute is a lot of alkalinity for most alkalinity supplements. This calculator should help pick a reasonable dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Before adding any stony corals, I'd make sure the phosphate was below 0.03 ppm, too.

ak47soulja22
10/05/2011, 12:15 PM
No I only dosed ALK for 12 hours at 1ml per min (overkill i guess) MP40 is my wave maker to push my water
For now my tank is covered in the white substance. What will be the best way to remove that? and while im on the alk problem how often should i test to know how much i should dose? and if my dosing pump dose 1ml a min how long during the night or day should i dose.

Maybe, my tank might be ok my GSP and my zoas are trying to get light and are out by tang is looking for food so hopefully i might be ok

I also got my shippment of dry rock in from BRS. it is all in a tub right now in RODI water Soaking. should i put the water in from water change water changes or would i be able to rinse off and put in my tank since i do not have anything in the tank really?

bertoni
10/05/2011, 11:18 PM
The white coating will disappear on its own. It's just fine sand. I don't know any easy way to remove it, although siphoning might get a lot of it.

I'd try testing alkalinity daily for a week or so. You should be able to tune the dose in and then reduce the testing frequency. The calculator listed above will help pick a dose.

You let the dry rock sit in water (as is or in saltwater) for a 3-5 days with a small powerhead. If the ammonia doesn't measure above zero after that time, it's safe enough to add to a tank with no valuable inhabitants.