PDA

View Full Version : Testing Questions

sjnovakovich
10/02/2011, 03:33 PM
The next step in getting my equimpment together is the water testing.

I plan to get a TDS Meter, API Reef Master Kit, API Saltwater Master, and of course a refractometer.

My question is pH. I know that meters are more accurate than test kits but my question is whether or not that level of accuracy is necessary for a reef tank if you are using a salt mix with RODI water. My thinking is that salt mixes would give a pretty consistent and reliable pH. Am I wrong?

Reefers Digest
10/02/2011, 11:45 PM
I might reconsider the test kits. Both kits have a nitrate test and the reef kit is missing a magnesium test (something I believe is necessary as it relates directly to how useful your calcium levels actually are).

I'm also not the ~biggest~ fan of API, but it's better than nothing.

I would recommend getting good ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, mag, cal and alk test kits as well as a TDS meter and good refractometer. If you can afford a controller+pH probe then I highly recommend this, otherwise a liquid test kit will suffice.

To answer your pH question: there are a lot of things that can affect pH. Just because your salt mixes up well to 8.2 (if it indeed does) doesn't mean its going to stick there. Anything from ambient CO2 levels, algal mass, time of day (and the corresponding biological processes occurring) etc. may effect your pH, however, if you test frequently, and come to understand your diurnal pH cycle, a liquid test kit will be fine.

My next recommendation would be to get a hold of some of Randy Holmes-Farley's articles on calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Each is responsible for mitigating the effectiveness of the other when it comes to our reefs. Alkalinity also plays a large role in the stability of our tank's pH, as you'll discover with the readings.

Good luck!

sjnovakovich
10/03/2011, 06:52 AM
Wow RD... Thanks for the great reply. I had completely forgotten about the diurnal pH cycle. A pH meter is definitely on my shopping list and a controller/probe when funds allow. I am at a loss for what test kits are premium. I've only ever use the basic API (pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite) for my fw tanks.

Thanks again,
Steve

mooch1982
10/03/2011, 02:37 PM
I have used API, Salifert, ELOS, Seachem, Sera, and Hanna checker reef test kits in the last 5 years.

I honestly recommend buying a good test kit form the start.

In no particular order, the following test kits are great for the following tests:

Calcium: Salifert or Elos are the best imo. I prefer the Salifert personally.

Alk: Almost any test kit will work here, but since they are cheap, why not just get a Salifert. ELOS is good too, but it goes in increments of .5. Hanna checker is what I use now, and is very nice since it is digital and takes the guessing out of the way.

Mag: Would only go with a Salifert.

PH: have only used API, and I think they are fine since as long as PH is stable you don't need to really test.

Nitrate: API are okay, but if you want to test low range, Salifert.

Nitrite: API is fine

Ammonia: API again is fine

Phosphate: Hanna checker all the way. +/- .04 accuracy and obviously very easy to read.

My experience with these test kits has to do with ease of use (color change, directions, etc) and consistency. Of all the test kits I find Salifert are by far the most consistent. Elos is not too far off imo.

People tend to go cheap on test kits, but this is not a cheap hobby, and having a proper test kit can go a long ways and actually save money. I have bought so many test kits cheap, only to spend more money on better test kits.

Getting a TDS meter is important, but please do your self a favor and get your-self a DUAL in line meter!!!! Just today my TDS crept up due to exhausted DI resin, but my inline showed it right away on my RO unit. I probably would not have checked it with a handheld. Also, get a automatic temperature compensation salinity refractometer AND some calibration solution. Sometimes when the ambient temperature changes in my house my refractometer need recalibration. Again, just today my refractometer needed to be calibrated after I left the windows open last night and it got cool in the house.

Personally, from experience the most important "quality" test kits to have are:

Dual inline TDS meter and Phosphate checker such as Hanna.

Often times these two are the reason for algae in the tank. Having said that, you can have zero phosphates and lots of algae, but that is of course because the algae is consuming the phosphates. If you are starting a tank, the phos checker can be extremely helpful in letting you know if phos exists from the start.

sjnovakovich
10/04/2011, 10:44 AM
Thank Mooch! That is exactly the type of advice I've been looking for on a few forums.