PDA

View Full Version : Carbon question...

Woja222
10/02/2011, 07:59 PM
I have a 72 gallon that has been running a little over a month. 60lbs sand 50lbs live rock. 2 green chromis, 2 ocellaris clowns, 15 hermits, 15 snails, and one zoa frag. everything in my water tests good but just started to cloud a little. Cant really afford a carbon reactor and have done everything on my build a DIY. My question is could I put carbon where my sponge/filter trickling water into my return sump resevoir is? In the picture its the small black sponge that I've labelled. Thanks everyone.

mikezalewski
10/02/2011, 08:32 PM
I am not a professional but I think that just putting a bag of carbon in the tank might halp you can put it somewhere that the water moves! I would think that it should be fine with that! just a thought!

Woja222
10/03/2011, 11:58 AM
just dont want it to be too much flow because I see that some people dont even run their reactors 24/7...

Sps Dream
10/03/2011, 01:42 PM
If you don't have any problem with your parameters, don't need to run 24 hours , 2-3 hours enough for day or 2 days enough for week.

biecacka
10/03/2011, 06:59 PM
ive heard you dont want to put it in your filter socks. not sure why so id love to hear if this is okay too
corey

Gorgok
10/03/2011, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't put it in a sock simply because you should change the sock way more often than the carbon needs to be replaced (like daily). All the junk that the sock would catch, but doesn't because the carbon bag is there, will stick to the carbon/bag and stay in the system if you put it in the next sock, or get washed off while you juggle the bag and sock etc...

I just have carbon in a bag near my return pump, i know the water moves past it all the time.

Gorgok
10/03/2011, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't put it in a sock simply because you should change the sock way more often than the carbon needs to be replaced (like daily). All the junk that the sock would catch, but doesn't because the carbon bag is there, will stick to the carbon/bag and stay in the system if you put it in the next sock, or get washed off while you juggle the bag and sock etc...

I just have carbon in a bag near my return pump, i know the water moves past it all the time.

biecacka
10/03/2011, 08:53 PM
what about in panty hose inside the sock. it is a high flow area and a good alternative to a reactor...............?
corey

bigfoot610
10/04/2011, 12:32 AM
I have a 72 gallon that has been running a little over a month. 60lbs sand 50lbs live rock. 2 green chromis, 2 ocellaris clowns, 15 hermits, 15 snails, and one zoa frag. everything in my water tests good but just started to cloud a little. Cant really afford a carbon reactor and have done everything on my build a DIY. My question is could I put carbon where my sponge/filter trickling water into my return sump resevoir is? In the picture its the small black sponge that I've labelled. Thanks everyone.
My guess is your having a bacteria bloom your tank is brand new it can also be super fine sand sediment getting blown around by your pumps since I assume you used new bagged sand :P