PDA

View Full Version : Telnet Access

ScottB
10/04/2011, 05:27 AM
Ok. I am running 4.11 on my APEX. From the web interface, everything seems to be functioning. However, when I attempt to telnet to the unit each keypress gets double input.

Assuming that I was using the default username/password (which I am not), the exchange looks like this:

AquaController Login
login: % !"'#aaddmmiinn^M
password: 1*2*3*4*^M

I am making this attempt on my internal network, on a Mac running Lion, using the built-in terminal client.

Am I the only one who see this and do I need to tweak my terminal settings, or is this something with the APEX itself?

aquamanic
10/04/2011, 05:56 AM
If I recall from 'the day' there's a param called 'echo' which you need to find in the terminal client and turn off.

ScottB
10/04/2011, 06:19 AM
If I recall from 'the day' there's a param called 'echo' which you need to find in the terminal client and turn off.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. I rarely use telnet anymore due to its insecure nature. (I wish this thing supported SSL and SSH.) I actually think what I am looking for is localecho, but can't seem to find it just yet.

Thanks for the help.

bazineta
10/04/2011, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately there seems to be some mismatch in the telnet NVT negotiation between the Apex and OS X telnet, and there's to my knowledge no way to disable local echo in the OS X telnet client. Annoying, basically, but I haven't found any way around it.

ScottB
10/04/2011, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately there seems to be some mismatch in the telnet NVT negotiation between the Apex and OS X telnet, and there's to my knowledge no way to disable local echo in the OS X telnet client. Annoying, basically, but I haven't found any way around it.

Sigh!

swearint
10/04/2011, 12:34 PM
I don't know if this will be of any use, I don't own a Mac. However, there is an iPhone app called Mocha Telnet Lite that works fine.

Todd

RussM
10/04/2011, 10:06 PM
The telnet client in OSX unfortunately doesn't always properly detect the telnet server's capabilities. I've seen this with devices other than Apex too. There is an easy solution:

From the terminal type telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are your IP address.

Then, once connected, hit ^] (Crtl+])

You should now see:
telnet>

Type 'mode line' (without the quotes) and hit enter.

Hit enter again until you see 'login:'

Now login with your login/password... there should be no strange or double echoed characters.

RussM
10/04/2011, 10:11 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but a colleague of mine swears by ITerm2 (http://www.iterm2.com), a free telnet client for Mac. Might be worth a try...

ScottB
10/05/2011, 06:14 AM
The telnet client in OSX unfortunately doesn't always properly detect the telnet server's capabilities. I've seen this with devices other than Apex too. There is an easy solution:

From the terminal type telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are your IP address.

Then, once connected, hit ^] (Crtl+])

You should now see:
telnet>

Type 'mode line' (without the quotes) and hit enter.

Hit enter again until you see 'login:'

Now login with your login/password... there should be no strange or double echoed characters.

That works. It is kinda clunky, though. Maybe I will give iTerm2 a shot.

Thanks.

ScottB
10/05/2011, 06:17 AM
No joy on the iTerm. Same, same.