PDA

View Full Version : Help with clean up crew

ochriso
10/04/2011, 07:54 AM
We have a 75 gal reef and really need to add clean up crew only have a few snails and hermits (not more than 5 each)left. we do have some hair algae that we could use some help with. looking for some suggestions on crew and good place to get em. Thanks Chris

Sherrf1
10/04/2011, 09:25 AM
Many online sites have reef clean up packages. You tell them the size of your tank and whats in it and theyll put together a crew for you. Another option is an LFS and picking your own stock. When I got some new hermits a few weeks ago I was told that the rule of thumb is two hermits per gallon, but I never have that many. A few turbo or astrea snails would be good too.

jscarlata
10/04/2011, 09:25 AM
I like turbos personally. I have 2 in my 90 and they mowed down almost all my problem algae us a very short time. They are easy to grab and place strategically when needed, they can knock stuff over...personally I'm done w having any/all crabs in my tanks, but that's me...always get a variety if things so you can have veggie eaters, meat eaters and detritus eaters
I'm sure you'll get much better responses soon

sporto0
10/04/2011, 10:52 AM
I prefer Turbo Snails to all other clean up crew members, that being said, I also keep some Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails & Nerite Snails, (I think Nerite means lazy?) I also employ about 40-50 Hermits, blue & red legs in my 90G Reef. Reefs2go.com always has a special or 2 running, a lot of BOGO on clean up crew members & package deals. I also received a few true Peppermint shrimp from them & they are pruning my Aiptasia nicely.

Sherrf1
10/04/2011, 03:24 PM
Saltwaterfish.com has a special where if you buy any reef cleanup crew you get free shipping on your entire order. Worth checking out if you want a whole package. You can always get a small package and add to it later on.

ochriso
10/05/2011, 05:25 PM
thanks just hate to see alot of snails on the glass all the time but really hate dirty tank evenmore:headwally:

curthendrix
10/05/2011, 07:14 PM
Anyone else think the recomendations as far as numbers from these online sites are way overkill? I have 10 hermits and 20 or so snails in a 225g and have no algae or detruis issues.