PDA

View Full Version : Not a great start here-BUT I GET IT

jamesyoung_31
10/04/2011, 10:46 AM
Seems I have been doing everything wrong from the start and I decided not to be argumentative but want constructive , engaging conversation moving forward. This has not been a good start since I came to RC. I have been reading lots in the archives and other net sites and patience seems to be the key word in the hobby. I started my tank with my fish store recommendations and now I know this is unreliable and he is out for the bucks. He seems so sincere regarding the advice he has given me and I have formed a relationship with him through the freshwater hobby. Quite frankly I'm upset at this point and cannot approach him and tell him so. Is there a polite way to do this and I would be grateful to those who have experienced the predicament I'm in. Only his store and a Petsmart in my area. That's the hard part because they don't carry fish. TY

smellslikeTUNA
10/04/2011, 10:58 AM
Stop taking your business there. You can get anything and everything online if you have to

smellslikeTUNA
10/04/2011, 11:00 AM
Do you mind me asking what happened? Just curious

EllieSuz
10/04/2011, 11:00 AM
RC members are frequently hard on LFS owners and employees and they deserve it much of the time. There is another excuse for their behavior and that is that our hobby has technical advances in equipment and reefkeeping and modern methods with which the average store owner doesn't keep up. If your store is misinformed or behind the times, just take his recommendations with a grain of salt (no pun intended). I don't think you need to have a confrontation with him. If he's the only game in town, continue to do business with him, but do your research before you walk in the front door.

izzy123
10/04/2011, 11:05 AM
Hmm, that's a hard nut to crack, unfortunaly you cannot be argumentative without "stepping on a few tows" IMO

So this is what I suggest, either you let it go, and just follow the advice of the "pro's" here on RC ( who by the way give advice for free) and just visit the store when you need something.

Or you never go to the store again (not an option for you)

Or you ask if you can speak to the manager, and explain in a calm but resolute way what you dicovered here on RC and that he is given the wrong info to his clients, maybe he doesn't know it himself........

Please keep in mind that he is selling fish because he wants to make money, he's not doing it for the fun of it.........

I know that sounds a bit cruel, but that's the way it is......

I hope this helps

Ivan

disc1
10/04/2011, 11:21 AM
If you go into the store and start an argument, all you're going to get is an argument. Look here to see what you need or want and then go there to get it. The LFS is a place to buy things, not a place to get advise. Keep those two things separate and you will have a happy experience.

jamesyoung_31
10/04/2011, 11:37 AM
TY.He is the owner of the store and he has 2 employees. I have a good relationship with one of the employees who is into saltwater.(he too is well aware that the owner will sell anything and he has a difficult time with it but the employee does give good advice) The owner is always friendly, and I have no option but to continue to frequent his store. I enjoy going there but I have seen things since being on RC that would make most cringe. It will be difficult to be "cold" to him knowing I just started salt. I was there Sunday and he had two sohol tangs-first time I've seen them ever in his 35 gallon holding tanks.- they were in diff. tanks He sold one while I was there, but he did say to the customer that they require a big tank. He sold it nonetheless , which was going in a 75 gallon.(4 inches).
I will not tell him I'm on RC , but that I'm researching all I can. I know I'm not his "friend" but we laugh alot and get along great. He does talk to me about other customers that drive him nuts. I know these customers, so he trusts me fully. Anyway, I will be cautious moving forward and try to find a good online source. Thanks

rovster
10/04/2011, 11:55 AM
If you go into the store and start an argument, all you're going to get is an argument. Look here to see what you need or want and then go there to get it. The LFS is a place to buy things, not a place to get advise. Keep those two things separate and you will have a happy experience.

Great advice. Yeah, I was at the LFS yesterday and I could hear the associates bragging about "selling". Like they care. I've also been told stuff straight to my face that was total hogwash. Do keep in mind that it appears there are many ways to run a successful tank, so maybe all that advice is not necessarily poorly intentioned. Just make sure you know what you want and how to care for it and just go and buy it. I've also found that if they catch on to the fact that you know what you are talking about, they will back off and not be tempted to offer up too much advice:hammer:

I wouldn't necessarily cut the relationship off. You still need a place where you can get things in a pinch, and its always nice to look at livestock before you buy it.

I would also be curious as to what exactly happened and what "bad" advice you were given. Sometimes $h!t happens......GL!

Sherrf1
10/04/2011, 12:21 PM
I have the same problems at one of the LFS by me. I have been given conflicting information by multiple employees. None of them ever say the same thing and when I ask about the two or three different things I am told, they usually tell me that the other people were wrong. I do my research online and just go to the store to buy, and even then I am cautious.

gone fishin
10/04/2011, 12:27 PM
Maybe chalk up the LFS store advice as a lesson learned and go forward from there. Before I go to a LFS I do alot of research on what I want to buy. I am not shy about bringing my little note pad or my reef secrets book in with me to refresh my memory. I have never had a LFS tell me to leave because of the book or my notes.

snorvich
10/04/2011, 12:34 PM

I agree. Recognize the inherent conflict of interests (his need to sell, your need to buy the right thing) and move on.

Sk8r
10/04/2011, 12:48 PM
Just take photos of your tank as it matures and keep showing them off in his store. Perhaps he will get a clue.
Really, there are about 3 categories of advice: A the right equipment for what you want to keep, B the right sized system for what you buy to grow (GROWTH is huge in the oceanic environment, and everything you buy is baby), and C, good water chemistry, which can be about summed up in 5 words: salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and stability. Master those things and you'll be golden, whether you're fish or reef with fish.

BrianD
10/05/2011, 01:49 PM
Evidently you haven't learned from the four or five other times you have been banned for the same petulant attitude. You can keep rejoining, and until your attitude changes, we will keep finding you.