PDA

View Full Version : Moving/Fragging Zoas

Sherrf1
10/04/2011, 02:08 PM
I have several colonies of Zoas that are growing on one rock. I want to be able to spread them to different parts of my tank so they're not all in one area. From my understanding, I can use a scalpel or razor blade to make a clean cut and super glue (gel) them to a frag plug. Is that correct? I dont want to kill them for no reason, but I would like to try and move some and get some new varieties to mix in. Any pointers for doing this?

Cantare00
10/04/2011, 02:18 PM
If you can cut them by scraping them off instead of cutting the stalks they will have a better chance to heal and grow back more quickly.

Cantare00
10/04/2011, 02:18 PM
Also I just use the super glue gel from the dollar store. Works great!

Sherrf1
10/04/2011, 02:43 PM
Until I joined this forum I had never heard of using super glue gel. The only things I used was the reef glue sold at LFS. It was like $18 a bottle and always clogged after a few uses, and never worked well to begin with.

Addicted2coral1
10/07/2011, 08:28 PM
i just started fragging my zoas... its goeing well.. the area right under the zoa can be cut into, its almost like the rock is softer there, i always end up getting some rock material on what i scrape, or cut off. this makes it easier to glue... if you try to glue directly to a zoa it will not always work because of the slime.. if this is the case i have read that you can put the polyps in a settling chamber with CC, i am using a breeder box, and the polyps will attach to the CC pieces and then you have something to glue too.

here is a pic of my first frags...

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h331/Jerrodbuffington/2011-10-05194225.jpg

Sherrf1
10/07/2011, 10:16 PM
Looks nice. I havent been able to try it yet. The supplies are still in the mail. Got the frag plugs and glue, just waiting for my scalpels so I can do it right. Id really like to get some nice frags going soon.

Tbare89
10/19/2011, 06:37 PM
Really the easiest way if your patient would be to have a lot of rubble around a large colony and just let them grow on to the surrounding rubble.

sbabs
10/19/2011, 11:09 PM
Be careful fragging zoas and Palys though. You can really get screwed up if you wipe any toxins from those guys in the wrong spots. Just handling zoas makes my fingers number later on.