PDA

View Full Version : Torch not extending???

sn4265
10/04/2011, 06:05 PM
We have a torch in the tank that has about 4 heads on it and one of these is progressively extending less and less. I'm worried that this head is dying. What can I do to revive this head, or is there anything that can be done?

The tank params in my signature have been pretty stable then entire time this torch has been in the tank which is about 4 months.

Reef Bass
10/04/2011, 06:13 PM
You're thinking your water parameters are where they were the last time you tested 3 months ago??

I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

csmfish
10/04/2011, 06:15 PM
might be flat worms or something. My torch and frogspawns are pretty po'd and just the other day I saw a flat worm flipping around the water column, now "I" am sooooooo po'd!! :thumbdown

sn4265
10/04/2011, 06:35 PM
No... I'm saying that my params are pretty stable. No wild pH, salinity, NO3 swings and I've been testing the params about once a week or every other week.

Potsy
10/04/2011, 06:36 PM
From what I've read, torches are the canaries of the aquarium. If something is out of wack, they're the first to decline. If your parameters are stable, perhaps it's a lighting or flow issue. What kind of flow do you have it in?

sn4265
10/04/2011, 08:18 PM
OK... I have kind of suspected flow, and the reason is that the head in question is the one that would be most behind the flow as compared to the other heads. I'm going to try angling one of the powerheads a bit differently to see if I can increase the flow around that torch in general.

Flow is a pair of Koralia Evo 1050 powerheads in addition to the sump return which is Mag 9.5 that is T'd off to a pair of returns in the top back corners.

Potsy
10/04/2011, 08:45 PM
I was actually thinking that it could be a case of too much flow. I think that most Euphyllia tolerate low flow much more readily that too much flow. In my previous tank, I had a frogspawn grow like a weed in a stagnant corner of the tank My 50 gallon has two koralia 750s, one 1050 on a wavemaker, and a 700 gph return. My torch gently sways in the current like wheat in the breeze.