PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a few things...

Mandragen
10/04/2011, 09:07 PM
I am looking for professional photo editing software. I was wondering what your guy's recommendaitons were?

I'm not sure if you guys do much with video, but I'm also looking for any advice/opinions on semi-professional HD video cameras and professional video editing software.

Do most of the photo editing software do video editing as well?

Would the video capabilities on the new DSLR models work just as well?

Basically I'm looking into these things for promotional reasons for a business I'm starting up. The business is not based on photography or videography but it would be nice to have these things in house. I already shoot a Nikon D300, so it seems feasible to do this myself.

Thoughts, opinions, constructive criticism? Just trying to do my homework before I jump into buying stuff.

Mandragen
10/05/2011, 08:00 AM
no one?

Recty
10/05/2011, 01:12 PM
I use Photoshop CS5 for photo editing.

I use Sony Vegas Pro for video editing.

Both are professional level editing and will do almost anything you want.

Also, if you want to stick with Adobe products, choose Adobe Premiere Pro for your video editor.

Mandragen
10/05/2011, 01:13 PM
real cool, thanks for the reply!

any advice on good HD camera?

Mandragen
10/05/2011, 01:14 PM
whats the difference between lightroom and photoshop?

Recty
10/05/2011, 03:12 PM
real cool, thanks for the reply!

any advice on good HD camera? Nope. Best advice I can give is pick your subject matter (like will you be videoing lots of fast moving cars or real slow shots of landscapes?) and then pick the price you are willing to spend. Those are the two things that probably matter the most, then you just google it and pick the brand you like that has good reviews.

whats the difference between lightroom and photoshop?
Lightroom lets you do a lot of adjustments, like changing colors, light levels, that type of thing. Big, sweeping type adjustments... plus it organizes your files for you.

Photoshop is an editing tool... you can do the adjustments Lightroom allows you to do, plus actually edit the document to your hearts content. It's got a LOT of features you'll most likely never use unless you're a professional, but it's nice to know they are there :)

Lightroom = adjust the image
Photoshop = adjust and/or edit the image

Mandragen
10/06/2011, 09:11 AM
I'm not trying to do anything illegal, but what's the most inexpensive way to purchase photoshop cs5? Does someone run a deal on it occasionally like lightroom?

Recty
10/06/2011, 09:42 AM
When I got into photography, I bought Photoshop Elements, which was $99, then did a $149 upgrade to CS4, so it cost me a total of $248 to get to CS4 which was way better than the price of $599 that they were asking for if you just outright buy CS4.

Mandragen
10/06/2011, 09:45 AM
exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Taking the step to elements and then to cs5 might make the learning curve a bit less steap as well?

Recty
10/06/2011, 11:31 AM
In theory, sure. I only used Elements for a week and barely used it before Adobe sent me an email saying I could upgrade to CS4 for $149, so I have almost no experience with it.

Manta034
10/06/2011, 12:19 PM
If by any chance you are a student or a teacher you can purchase a student edition of photoshop cs5 extended for around $189.

Mandragen
10/06/2011, 01:29 PM
extended is the best version correct? I'm not a teacher or student, but maybe one of my friends needs a copy, lol.

Mandragen
10/06/2011, 01:35 PM
on a more serious note, probably gonna have to just buy elements, cause I can't lay down $600 at this point.

Brett9917
10/06/2011, 10:12 PM
Before you go dropping any money, you can go to adobe.com and download 30 day trials of Lightroom and such. It's the full program, just only get it for 30 days.

BlueCorn
10/06/2011, 10:21 PM
Lightroom = adjust the image
Photoshop = adjust and/or edit the image

Close.

Lightroom is a database but it doesn't actually store your images. What it stores is information "about" your images. Even "edits" are just stored instructions. Lightroom doesn't ever modify your original file. It just remembers what changes you made and renders those, on the fly, when you click the image.

When you get into the Develop module in LR, you're working with all the same tools as you use in Photoshop's camera Raw utility. They look a little different but it's the same software. It's built, from the ground up, for photography. It doesn't contain all of the tools in Photoshop that you'll never use. All of that said, it's not a pixel editor like Photoshop.

What I usually recommend, if you're trying to save money, is to buy Lightroom and then a copy of PS Elements for when you need a pixel editor.

I do virtually no video editing so I'll refrain from comment there.

xtm
10/12/2011, 05:57 PM
Photoshop = destructive editing. All alterations are baked into the actual photo.
Lightroom = Non-destructive editing. All alterations are kept in the catalog, the actual photo file is untouched.

Also, PS = deals with layers, channels, actions..
LR = for quick localized editing (spot removal, levels, cataloguing, presentation..)

As for video, I use Adobe Premiere on OSX and KDEnlive on Linux.

Mandragen
10/12/2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the good information...

I think that photoshop is the way I need to go for the photo editing

cassell19
10/13/2011, 07:55 AM
For most of the stuff people need, try Corel. They make affordable editing software.