PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Adapters Which One?

Bryan
10/05/2011, 05:52 AM
Hello;

Wondering if anybody has any good advice for adapters for the Apex, Browsing through the Unofficial Users Guide and they have a few options. Trendnet seems to be the cheapest, but appears it may drop connections.

Other option I am considering is the Powerline Ethernet adapters. Have used X10 for years with my older Neptunes with great reliability so think this may be a good compromise. Easy to setup.

Local computer retailer has a Utube comparison between direct, powerline, wireless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

Thoughts, advice appreciated.

ScottB
10/05/2011, 07:11 AM
I just installed an Apple Airport Express last weekend. Once I figured out the how to get the thing configured, it has been rock solid. It is currently in the garage in a low-signal zone but seems to work just fine.

If you do it, just remember to add it to your network as a wireless CLIENT, and all will be good.

bazineta
10/05/2011, 09:01 AM
I also use an Airport Express. No issues, very reliable.

RussM
10/05/2011, 09:33 AM
+1 on the AirPort Express. But the $110 price is a drawback... many people don't pay that much for their routers. For the more budget-conscious, the Netgear WNCE2001 is a good choice at $60.

ScottB
10/05/2011, 09:37 AM
I saw online somewhere (at the apple store) that you can get a refurb Airport Express for $70. I paid the higher price because of the very small comparative footprint and unassuming aesthetic.

wwanthony
10/05/2011, 09:55 AM
Running an Airport Express also.

Hextall
10/05/2011, 11:49 AM
I purchased a linksys router (wrt54g) from craigslist for $25. It was already loaded with DD-WRT firmware, although I was going to install it regardless.

I then set this as a bridge router and plugged the apex directly into it.

If you're looking for inexpensive...

kurt_n
10/05/2011, 01:19 PM

Other option I am considering is the Powerline Ethernet adapters. Have used X10 for years with my older Neptunes with great reliability so think this may be a good compromise. Easy to setup. ...

I briefly considered Powerline adapter, but then found out that when power to the house is dead, they don't work. With a wireless adapter, you can hook it up to a UPS (along with your Apex) and receive email notices of the power outage - assuming your router/modem are on a UPS also.

I've used the Netgear WNCE2001 for over a year with no issues whatsoever. Great unit with a small footprint that is easy to mount out of the way.

sminker
10/05/2011, 04:42 PM
I purchased a linksys router (wrt54g) from craigslist for $25. It was already loaded with DD-WRT firmware, although I was going to install it regardless.

I then set this as a bridge router and plugged the apex directly into it.

If you're looking for inexpensive...

+1, pretty easy to do using the guide. and +1 to the cool geek factor of the controller.

how often would you see a router hooked up as a repeater to a fish tank?

ScottB
10/05/2011, 05:30 PM
This thread has geek written all over it. Raise your hand if you are one of us!

Bryan
10/06/2011, 02:04 AM
Airport Express looks nice and slick but a little pricey for me, found a good deal on a Trendnet TPL-303E2K Powerline kit locally at 30% off. Not too concerned about power outages where I live so it should be fine. As long as it connects and is reliable I will be a happy camper.

newfubar
10/06/2011, 09:39 AM
I'm a new apex controller owner (about 1 month) - I have this hooked up to wirelessly connect to my router:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=amazon&hl=en&cp=17&gs_id=3c&xhr=t&q=wireless+gaming+adapter&client=firefox-a&hs=uj&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=638&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4386059849184973727&sa=X&ei=Cr2NTpPwCoyEtgfxr_2VDA&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ

an the unit is located about 60-70 feet from the router and has worked fine for the last two weeks.

prop-frags
10/06/2011, 09:40 AM
Using the WET610N (http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WET610N) here. No complaints at all.

Bryan
10/06/2011, 08:55 PM
Plugged the 2 powerline Ethernet modules into the wall with the corresponding connectors to the router and Apex, and it connected right away, no muss no fuss. Did not even bother installing the included software.

However that begs the question, should I be installing the software as I imagine it may be securing the line. Could not someone else in my condo complex connect to my router if they were to add a powerline adapter.

MrSandman
10/09/2011, 03:04 PM
I've had the Trendnet wireless adapter for the last 2 years. In the beginning it was very spotty but once i upgraded the firmware i have had zero problems. It's been easily 1 year since i upgraded the firmware and its been perfect since. The reviews you read were probably with the older firmware versions. The latest firmware fixes all those problems.

dad1st
10/09/2011, 07:55 PM
I use the sling link its just like running a wire with out all the hassle.
You can even do firmware updates no problem.
http://www.slingbox.com/go/slt

gatorrx98
10/10/2011, 06:07 AM
+1 on the AirPort Express. But the $110 price is a drawback... many people don't pay that much for their routers. For the more budget-conscious, the Netgear WNCE2001 is a good choice at $60.

NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter for 59.99 on Amazon is working well for me with my Netgear router.

travis32
10/10/2011, 09:23 AM
I use the netgear wnce2001 also. I had some issues with it randomly dropping off the network. Had to reboot it and the netgear router. last night my computer dropped off the wireless said it was connected, but IE wouldn't open any websites. But my droid phone could connect to the apex.. So, LOL. I'm not sure if my house is haunted, government EM field testing, or my wireless network is crap. But, Randomly devices disconnect and reconnect. Last week it was the apex, this week it's my computer..

Next week it might be my blue ray player... So, I don't blame the Netgear ethernet bridge.

bazineta
10/10/2011, 12:36 PM
Hopefully a helpful hint for the Apple types out there. If you have a Mac and purchased AppleCare with it, then intrinsically covered under that AppleCare policy are AirPort devices, purchased up to two years prior to the start of the policy, or at any time during the policy period.

I wasn't aware of this at first; I found out after grumbling to a friend that I was replacing my second (non-AirPort) wireless bridge after it died 13 months into the 12-month warranty. He asked why I didn't buy AirPort devices, since I always bought the AppleCare policy with my Macs; I responded that the AirPorts were more expensive.

He pointed out the policy info, and indicated that they'd have been two wireless bridges less expensive at that point. I therefore post this Learn From My Fail as a public service.

nightOwl
10/24/2011, 10:28 PM
I purchased a used Linksys E2000 router and installed DD-WRT on it for my 180. I then configured it to be a repeater bridge. I now have a router upstairs and downstairs and I can plug in my TV, Playstation 3, and Apex :).

x947
10/25/2011, 06:56 AM
I got the trendnet tew647ga from ebay for $28

no complaints

Emmanuel75
10/26/2011, 10:44 AM
+1 wet610n

Snprhed
10/26/2011, 03:22 PM
Ok so Im not real smooth with the computer stuff. My apex is in my garage and the signal from my wireless router is very weak. Can I get one of the airport expresses, and use it to get the signal to my regular router? I believe the term above was use it as a "bridge".

I do not have anything else that is apple/mac

ScottB
10/26/2011, 03:34 PM
IME, the Airport Express worked very well for that. My garage is a long way from my router and has a weak WiFi signal. I had the tank and controller out there for several weeks while I was configuring and testing. It worked great.

When I first added the AE to my network I used several different options and had no success. Finally I configured it as a wireless "client" to my existing wireless network, and plugged the ethernet cable up between it and the Apex controller. Works like a champ.

Snprhed
10/26/2011, 05:18 PM
Just ordered the airport! Thanks for the thread guys. If I could only figure out how to program the apex..lol

RRaider
10/29/2011, 12:42 AM
I bought a Cisco WRT160N and loaded DD-WRT on it. Works great.