PDA

View Full Version : Big Return flow & Dual Drains on Illuminata

Gudhjem
10/05/2011, 11:46 AM
I'm building a 57g tank.

My plan is to try to avoid using DT circulation pumps by having a powerful return flow. My current return pump is a ReefTek 5000 rated at 1350gph at 0 head, although I might go with something even bigger if I can get this worked out.

I’ve set up my sump so that the refugium is fed by a divert from the return line. That means I don’t need to worry about running too much flow through the ‘fuge – that will be independent of how big my return pump is.
I have two concerns with using a large return pump in this tank, and am hoping for some feedback:

1. The Illuminata reef-ready tank I have is pre-drilled for one drain and one return. The drain will accommodate a 1” bulkhead. Will this be enough to feed a big return pump? My thinking is that it probably will not be, and even if it is, it will be the limiting factor in allowing me to use an even bigger return pump if I want to. I could use Sch 10 drain pipe to improve the 1” I.D., but I’m concerned that that will still not be enough. Anyone have any experience with a 1” overflow keeping up with a large return pump?

2. I could use BOTH pre-drilled holes for drainage, and bring the return over the back (the way I have my tank set up, you would not really see the return). This would double my drain capacity, and I think give me enough to keep up with my current pump, and maybe a larger one. My concern here though is if the Illuminata built-in overflow might be limiting. It wouldn’t do to have the tank water filling past the teeth in the overflow and actually cresting over it. My thinking is that this probably won’t happen, but I’m curious to know if anyone here has experienced this. Assuming the actual capacity of the overflow is not a problem, how about noise? Am I inviting way too much overflow noise by going with a powerful return?

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.